Touch probe pushing block

Hi there all,
I occasionally have a problem when probing. Sometimes when it runs through the cycle, it’ll do the z move fine, then the X move will push the probe block a couple hundred thou. Then carry on and do the Y axis fine.
I have to rerun the cycle 2 or 3 times before it works correctly. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know what causes this?

How does it move the block when it is up against the piece?

I usually hold the block down when probing, but be careful not to pinch your fingie though.
You might use a wooden stick to hold it instead.

I think this is cause by having a bit of crud on the endmill and it’s not getting a good electrical connection, so make sure it’s very clean and that should help. You can also slow down the probing speed in the settings.

1 Like

I’ve noticed it lately with my probe but only on the Y axis. I’ll have to clean my 1/4" blank and see if it helps. It doesn’t cut anything obviously, so it shouldn’t really be dirty. So far I’ve only had to repeat the XYZ zero once per instance.

I hold the probe in place tightly and it’s still enough force to move the probe about 1/32-1/64". Annoying more than anything else.

1 Like

People have reported probing issues with coated bits if you’re using one it could be a source. I probe with a 1/4" 60 degree v bit to avoid error potential with how the flute contacts the probe block, then I switch to the bit I want to use and probe Z/set Z from there.

Yes, I’ve had this happen too. May have to do with friction between the block and surface. I’ve taken to carefully holding the block in place and it seems to detect it without it pushing hard.

Thank you all for the replies.
I use a 1/4" steel dowel for probing. When dust on the bit was mentioned, I pulled off my collet and noticed a build up in the nut. I’ll keep that clean and see if it makes a difference.
Again, thank you OF forum peeps. You always come through.:grin::grin:

1 Like

When the probe is on the left front corner, it touches off on the right side of the probe block. It’s supposed to detect the piece right at contact and stop but sometimes keeps going and pushes the probe to the left