Trying to decide on Elite vs X50 series before I buy

Masso will run G02 and G03 circular interpolation gcode commands

https://docs.masso.com.au/supported-g-codes/g02-circular-interpolation-clockwise

1 Like

Hey Tom,

thank you for pointing to the documentation!

The Onefinity and Buildbotics controllers execute the same G02 and G03 commands (test: arc_counterclockwise.ngc). ā€˜Max-deviationā€™ setting controls accuracy on corners and arcs, and these controllers honor the G61 (Exact Path Mode), G61.1 (Exact Stop Mode) and G64 (Path Blending) commands.

At the motor movements level, every CNC controller interpolates the arc commands to finally get x,y coordinates.

1 Like

i have the woodworker i love it, im adding the foreman.

1 Like

when i ordered the Elite i calculated the difference was around +$600. It made for a fairly easy decision: Elite

Absolutely worth it for the overall component package they have put together. :smiley:

Definitely set on ordering the Elite, now just trying to finalise on the size. Pretty sure I am going to order the 80mm mount and initially use the router with the adaptor sleeve until I switch to the spindle. Luckily I already have the Makita trim router in my shop.

It is funny reading this ā€¦ especially since I upgraded from a Journeyman (to be upfront Journeyman is for sale here) to an Elite Forman.

The Journeyman really has done everything I asked of it. For me it was a bunch of minor upgrades.

For example 48x48 vs 48x32 ā€¦ Everything I have had to tile on the Journeyman I would still have to tile on the Foreman.

I want to upgrade to a spindle for 1/2" bits ā€¦ my little router spun 1/4" bits all day long. Could I have upgraded just to a spindle yesā€¦ but then add a new Z gantry.

I really want the ATC ā€¦ buildbotics just canā€™t support that. That what pushed me over.

This talk of arcs and circles ā€¦ as a Mechanical Engineer who wrote CAD software based upon NURBS and some serious geometry kernelsā€¦ you folks are off in the weeds. The articles says a DEFAULT max deviation of 0.05" in the in the sector, and then he cranks it down to 0.0005"ā€¦ up goes the cutting time as it makes VERY small steps (not sure what the minimum step size is) .

In my previous life we would scrutinize any part that required beyond tolerances of +/- 0.005" ( The High Cost of Tight Tolerances - CNCCookbook: Be A Better CNC'er)

Yup depending on what you are doing you have to know more. But for the average hobbyist who is making signs and furniture this is the tall grass.

But since we are in the weedsā€¦ always use the biggest diameter shank bit to minimize bit deflection. ( Estimating and Measuring Tool Deflection)

Folks remember for most of us the medium is wood ā€¦ it moves, and it does NOT retain its aspect ratio.

Also and this is the one that has educated me the most ā€¦ as you remove wood it MOVES again., and the amount of movement is chunk-o-wood dependent.

JohnHewetson you mention cabinet makingā€¦something I will do also. Consider:

Kitchen Base Cabinet Dimensions
Height, without countertop 34 1/2 inches
Height, with countertop 35 to 36 inches
Depth (front to wall), without countertop 24 inches
Depth, with countertop 25 to 26 inches
Standard widths 12, 18, 24, 30, 33, 36, 48 inches

The Journeyman does that just fineā€¦ and you are basically loading both one at a time. You are NOT going to compete with a production cabinet shop using a 4x8 vac table with an ATC. So building your own cabinet as a labor of love, it is a good deal. In production, set-up,tear-down of each part will be a killer. Personally I do plan to build my own cabinets, but the sawstop and domino will do the heavy liftingā€¦ doors, it will cut a lot of doors.

If I were in this for just a hobby the Journeyman with a router is a fine machine. But I want to step up my game a bitā€¦ and that takes more money and more education.

I have read a lot (iff not all) of TMToronto posts and references ā€¦ I truly believe the Masso is a step up in capability but it comes at the cost of education and pennies.

Donā€™t buy more than you are willing to learn.

Sorry if I came across pushy, preachy or arrogant ā€¦ sometimes I can overreactā€¦ but I think the points are sound.

Hey Carl, or Lynn, or both,

I donā€™t know ā€“ what I found is that it is not always clear what you mean or that it is not always easy to follow you.

I donā€™t see pushy in your response, I see a lot of discussion around tool deflection, .0005 concerns and coming from owning a large machine shop, I totally relate to your comments, this is wood and wood is soft and full of stress and moves when machining as do most metal parts.

1 Like

I am new, like a lot on here, I am trying to decide between Elite Onefinity or AR8 Pro 5Axiom. Has anyone on here ever used the Axiom and can give me an honest opinion as to which has better customer support and quality build. I know the Axiom is a lot more $$$ and I plan on just being a part time fiddle around in my little shop guy.

Their biggest is 1/2 the size of the Elite Foreman and double the cost, only 300ipm vs the elites 400 (can be set higher), about the same gantry clearance, but looks like open loop steppers vs our closed loop steppers.
From what we can tell, their controller is not an industrial controller like the Masso is that the Elite has.
Either will do you just fine, but (obviously weā€™re biased) you get much more for your Money :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I own a Onefinity Woodworker that I upgraded to a Masso G3 controller several years ago. I do not own or have experience with the Axiom CNCs.

My initial personal opinions (in no particular order):

1. Although the Axiom does not require a computer, it uses a pendant controller. I do not like these, mostly due to the small display, and especially compared to using the Masso (I added a separate touch screen to mine - similar in functionality to the Touch).
  2. I am not a fan of a single ballscrew solution to control the motion of the 2 Y axes. My opinion is its implementation will not be as rigid as dual Y linear motion solutions, like on the Onefinity.
  3. I prefer linear rails and blocks, and will most likely build my next CNC using these. However, when looking at the Axiom CNC, and the X axis gantry in particular, it is made of a very narrow (20x160?) aluminum extrusion. I believe any benefit from linear rails will be lost due to the flex in the thin gantry.
  4. I am only ever interested in the overall structure and linear motion components, as the rest I prefer to source or build myself. Therefore, I have no opinion on the electronics, spindle, tool setter etc, which I could not find details on anyway.
3 Likes

Iā€™ll be calling Onefinity in the next few days, and get some verification on a few minor things. Iā€™m leaning more toward the Elite as I finally found a video that helped me get an idea of how to use the Masso. Iā€™m hoping I can find an in-depth version so I can understand more of what needs to be done. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that.
Eldon

Fast forward 1 year. I bought an X-50 Woodworker in Feb of 2002. Now a year later having used the X-50 for a variety of carves and looking at all the specs and features of the Elite, hands down, I want an Elite or more importantly a Masso Controller with its homing system on my X-50 for the following reasons. By the way, Iā€™m a technical guy and think I purchased the best built, most ridged, reliable machine in its class at a very affordable price point.
Buildbotics

1. 3D carve: Even with a separate file for all toolpaths, your committed to the machine being powered until the carve is done. That could be hours or days depending on the complexity of the carve, and pray the power doesnā€™t go out or a bit breaks. You canā€™t rely on ā€œstall homingā€ to accurately put you back to the same point the carve started, even if you logged the X,Y 0 values prior to a power/restart issue.
  2. Lack of adjusting feed rate, real time during a carve. Result, stop carve, erase file, go back to computer and adjust the file, reload.
  3. Whether your seasoned or a beginner, youā€™ll come to realize these 2 things are very significant operational deficiencies.
    Elite/Masso
  4. Machine is ā€œbeefed upā€ on X and Z mechanically. However for my Hobbyist needs, not a big deal.
  5. Machine has a reliable, repeatable homing system.
  6. Stores/Backs up machine positions to easily resume a project if an issue arises.
  7. Feed rate can be adjusted on the fly while in the start, middle, or end of a project, youā€™ll come to appreciate that!
    5: Supports a 4th axis for rotary carving.
    Down Side
  8. For me, like the Game Pad to move the machine around, base Masso is touch screen only.

My opinion, buy the Elite, I would gladly pay the difference for the added features. But, the X-50 is meeting all my expectations as a Hobbyist, as well, you just have to really plan your project, oversee it, and pray the power doesnā€™t go out, a bit break, or you have to E-Stop. Most likely, new material and start over.
FYI, If the Elite upgrade kit is reasonably priced, no brainer for me, upgrade time!
Think of this as a 1 time investment, donā€™t cheap out, because all the upgrades add up. It would be cheaper to pay for the better, feature rich machine up front, then the continual upgrades to deficiencies youā€™ll come to realize when you get to using the cheaper machine. I wished the Elite was available when I bought mine as there would be an Elite on my table instead!

2 Likes

If you post your questions here, we can answer them and others can learn from them as well!

Hello again, the questions Iā€™ve come up with for now are, What version of Vectri VCarve Pro will I get, and does it come with Photo-Vcarve included? According to the Axiom site, on their training on line page, the Photo Vcarve is now included with Pro. Next, and more importantly, is there an in depth training video on how to use the Masso? I will also be ordering the PWC 2.2kw 80 mm spindle and kit. Will I be able to install this on the Elite and have it work with the Masso as well? Finally, Iā€™ve read a couple of horror stories on delivery being dropped off at the curb and just left. I know there isnā€™t a 100% guarantee this wonā€™t happen, but I really need a guarantee signature upon delivery. I also live alone, and will need a lift gate so the CNC can be lowered onto a trailer so I can get it to my work shop. Well, thatā€™s about it for today, I will probably come up with more tomorrow as I sleep and dream CNC tonightā€¦LOL Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Thank you very much. You make a lot of since and a very convincing ā€œOpinionā€. The more I see on here with people willing and ready to help me make a decision, the closer I am to calling Onefinity, not just to answer questions, that will probably be answered on here, but to go ahead and place my order. It sounds like it will be a few months before delivery, so it would give me time to watch more videos and get a Kreg stand ordered and set up. The training videos on the Masso are the big thing I truly hope to find.

Hey Eldon,

in your first post you said youā€™re very new to this, are you also new to using CAD/CAM software? If so, learning to use a CAD/CAM software, especially 3D modeling, takes considerable amount of time to master it, I think much more than learning to use the Masso CNC controller.

The good thing is that if you buy, you can get the licence for VCarve Pro and export your toolpaths (not possible with free trial version) and feed them into the CAMotics.org 3D toolpath simulation (while still waiting for the machine). Thatā€™s the simulation also shown on the Standard Series Onefinity Controller.

1 Like

I suggest looking to Masso resources as well to see how it works, as it wonā€™t matter too much which brand of CNC router it is controlling.
Besides Massoā€™s online manual and forums, which are excellent, I suggest you start watching CNCNutzā€™s videos - he covers almost everything you will need to know.