Uploading a video to onefinity forum

I know I know, anyone that can operate a cnc should know how to do this, but I do not. I first tried to upload a video that my pixel phone, it said it was too large. Go to internet and find out how to make it smaller. done. then finally it did upload. Took an age. Then of course I had to download it in order to see it on my computer. done. clicked open. Ooops! seems I need some decoder. I tried to download the decoder (99cents from Microsoft). Guess what? that did not work either why would I even need a decoder? why would my brand-new phone make a video I can nor share with anyone? grrrrrr. I have something I want to share on the forum that I think a lot of folks will enjoy. Can anyone help the video is only 14 seconds long and made on a pixel 10 phone

My best suggestion is to download a program called Handbrake and run your video through that.

Nothing wrong with your phone! It’s just that the quality of the cameras on the phones is so high that they make enormous files.

Others with Android/Pixel phone experience may have suggestions for making your video smaller on the phone itself, but I come from the iPhone world and have found a quick run through Handbrake with a lower video resolution works wonders.

I don’t know anything at all about the Pixel phone, but I’d maybe start with checking the video format. Newer devices often use encoding algorithms to compress videos into smaller files in order to maximize storage. Since you mentioned needing a decoder, I’d guess that could be part of the issue. Hope that is at least somewhat useful to you.

Handbrake can definitely read/write a LOT of different formats and codecs and then take the file and resave it in more common formats.

It’s not the worst thing in the world to use if you just want to do a basic resave on a file. I also don’t do much in the wonderful world of Windows either as my background is Unix/Linux (MacOS believe it or not is based on Unix, it just has a really fancy front end on it)

Handbrake is worth a shot, you can probably find a quick YouTube tutorial to show you a basic resave. Like any tool, you can get pretty deep in the weeds, because it has a LOT of levers and knobs you can adjust, but you don’t NEED to touch them or understand them to just do the basics.

Cheers.

What file format are you trying to upload? Maybe post it on YouTube then share the YouTube link here?

Most Discourse based forums (I believe this is Discourse based) have issues supporting direct uploads/embedding of videos. The sure way to get the video out is to post it on YouTube or Vimeo and include the link in a post.

Otherwise you either need to change formats & sizes to something the forum is set up to host or install additional codes as necessary on your phone to natively save/export. Unfortunately it can take a fair amount of trial & error to find out what codecs are supported by this implementation of the forum software. Since videos can take up so much space resolutions and sizes are constrained by default in Discourse setups so they don’t overwhelm the host with storage or bandwidth hosting costs. It’s not your phone :slightly_smiling_face:

hey jim I got it finally. let me know what you think.

No link or embedded video included. Is it still uploading?

Edit: found it in your new post. Here’s a link to that post for anyone else who’s looking for it.

what do you think of the mechanism?

That’s fantastic.

I felt a video that cool required a bit more pomp or circumstance, some DRAMA if you will….

(sorry it’s early and the caffiene hasn’t really hit yet…)

I am not really good at pomp or circumstance lol. like the man said “it is what it is” today I will finish skinning the table and begin assembly of the gen two. more videos to follow, I hope. ok I do not usually have any sound on. but my wife had the sound on while she was shopping online and later in the day, I played the video, (just cuz )and I finally heard what you did. I laughed my butt off when I heard it. Thanks that was awesome.

Thanks Jim, I am slowly entering the 21st century. Forum Friends like you are a big help.

This is pretty neat!