Where to place the controller on a secure from below QCW with legs

Are there any instructions on where to place the controller on a secure from below QCW with legs?

It’s been a hot minute since I installed my QCW, but if not mistaken, the QCW frame is strategically designed to mount the BuildBotics controller (upside down) under the frame itself. The mounting holes on the QCW should perfectly line up with the holes on the controller. This obviously only works if you are using one of the metal Onefinity rolling/folding stands so as to accommodate the clearance required.

Since I have my machine sitting on a regular workbench-style table, I just mounted the controller to the underside of said table. You may need to order some extension cables, as I did, to accomplish placing the controller at any significant distance away.

p.s. welcome to the forum, please mind the gap.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, SurfinGump. If you have a QCW that is mount from above for the waste boards, Onefinity supplies extra long bolts to secure the Controller on the bottom of the QCW. They have a nice video that explains that. But since I have a mount from below, that’s not going to work. My assumption is that I’ll have to use wood screws to mount it to the waste board under the table. Or I may build a small table to put off to the left side of the Onefinity and mount the controller to that. That’s where I’ll have my laptop.

Lastly, can you explain what you mean by “mind the gap”? Hope I didn’t do anything wrong. Lol.

It’s just sarcasm meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke I sometimes make referencing the infamous signs in the London subway that are plastered everywhere warning about the obvious gap between the platform and train. They even broadcast it over the P.A. system in a robotic drone-like tone, just so your brain ignores them as quickly as possible. These sorts of things spillover from yet another silly day at work and can manifest themselves in any number of ways. Just recently I felt the overwhelming urge to comment on how great an idea it was someone else made about trying to brew coffee in a dishwasher. But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll find that 99.9% of the discussions here are actually CNC and/or woodworking related.

1 Like

I have a mount-from-below QCW with the X-50 Woodworker (recently upgraded to Elite). Originally, I mounted the controller under the waste board on the left side (when facing the CNC). Later, I affixed a rectangular piece of 1/2 ply to the left-side legs (about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom) and mounted my controller, VFD, power strip, IoT relay power strip, 240v wireless relay (used to turn power to the VFD on/off), and even had a metal strip mounted to hang my JTech laser from when not in use.

The idea being that, if needed, I could still fold it up and move it.

1 Like

I love that! I used to ride the tubes in London but never noticed that then. That was back in the 70’s. I appreciate the humor (now that I realize it is humor and that I didn’t make a mistake being new to the forum). Brewing coffee in a dishwasher sounds intriguing but I think it would be very weak. I like strong coffee and I remember the coffee in London was not very weak. That’s where I got my love for very strong coffee and will, now, accept nothing less. Best of luck SurfinGump.

Thank you MstrODstr. So what I take from your post is that I can basically do what I want. If I wasn’t such a newbie, I should have figured that out on my own. I am a former technical and medical writer and I look for everything to be documented so that a dummy can figure it out. But technical writers can be expensive so I assume that’s why Onefinity didn’t provide this process. Thank the universe for the Forum. I apppreciate your response, and once I get me spoil boards mounted will figure this out because you showed me the way. Paul

2 Likes