WIP CNC Cart Design, critique wanted!

Howdy all.

I finally had some time to rough out a model for my CNC table, and would really appreciate some critical eyes to lead me right.

The plan is to weld together a cart out of 2"x2" steel tube (.120" wall). The rear shelf supports and the power supply mount will be made from 1" angle. The panels will all be 18mm plywood. This is undoubtedly overkill, but is it too overkill? The total weight of just the steel frame and plywood will be around 320lbs. The machine casters can supposedly carry up to 2200lbs total (550lbs each).

The top has 5" extra on the left, right, and rear from the base of the QCW frame. I’m considering reducing or eliminating the side overhang, as I don’t see that it’s necessary in any way and would likely just be a gathering place for dust and lazily-discarded tools. Thoughts?

I put three drawers on ball bearing slides (that I have left over from another project). Will dust be a problem for these slides? Also, should I vary the drawer heights or make them identical?

The VFD Cabinet is at the front for accessibility, but on the opposite side from the controller for stability (and also so the power cord can reach an existing 220V outlet).

The rear shelf will hold the coolant bucket for my water-cooled spindle, maybe an air compressor, and whatever else decides to live there.

The entire bottom of the cart will be used for lumber storage.

The leftmost panel of the QCWasteboard will be swappable for a vertical fixturing wasteboard (and perhaps a 4th axis). Shown below is a quick and dirty representation of the vertical wasteboard and will in no way resemble the actual forthcoming design.

Please give me all your thoughts, criticisms, and impassioned pleas. I desire them greatly.

2 Likes

Looks great.

I would consider checking depth of top drawer make it deep enough for keeping activator cans, mini screwdriver/drill, box of fixings, scraps of wood for spacers,mounting templates… not too deep else you might need to bend :slight_smile: .

I like to keep my bits in their original boxes and lie them flat. So having a not so deep drawer for not often used or spare bits will be useful.

The heavy weight is probably a bonus.

I like the verticle hanging arrangement

Think about how the VFD lower cable reaches the spindle unless the elite does it via a cable rack. My VFD cable hangs from above off 1 inch dowel along with the vacuum hose.

Will your knees or other accidently knock the vfd buttons? Good that you can see the VFD screen, they can trip and it i find i always check before starting.

I have a piece of paper with a checklist of things to do before each job and gcode i use from time to time. I find it a saviour. A quick glance saves me from making mistakes. Where might that go? Probably on a wall, taped to the table?

I dont have this but plan on one is a piece of perspex or aluminium or whatever on the inside of the y rails to stop the majority of the chips and dust from collecting on the thread.

1 Like

I’d put the VFD on the same side as the Masso so the cables reach; easier to buy a long power cord. With my VFD from pwnCNC you can mount the VFD control to the Masso control screen. I’d ditch the bucket and make room for a chiller. I’d make the draws as deep as I could. If you use long slides you can pull them all the way out so no reaching.

1 Like

I would consider checking depth of top drawer make it deep enough for keeping activator cans, mini screwdriver/drill, box of fixings, scraps of wood for spacers, mounting templates…

Currently each drawer is 4" deep, which I’ve found good enough to hold most things, but I may end up reducing the middle drawer and increasing the bottom drawer so I have options.

Think about how the VFD lower cable reaches the spindle

The VFD cable will be suspended along with the dust hose from a boom arm on the right rear rail foot similar to Rowdy Roman’s design.

Will your knees or other accidently knock the vfd buttons?

That’s something I didn’t consider! The VFD power buttons are inset and have a decent actuation distance, so I think I should be fine. But the membrane pad could be bumped. I might work out a hardshell cover for it.

I have a piece of paper with a checklist of things to do before each job and gcode i use from time to time.

A brilliant idea. I’m a big fan of whiteboards, so I might put a wall mounted whiteboard on the wall next to my machine

I dont have this but plan on one is a piece of perspex or aluminium or whatever on the inside of the y rails to stop the majority of the chips and dust from collecting on the thread.

That’s a modification I’m planning for a later date.

Thanks Andy for all your input! It’s extremely helpful!

1 Like

I’d put the VFD on the same side as the Masso so the cables reach

I’ve already wired my VFD control cabinet and it’s got a relatively short and permanent power cable, but a long enough control cable to reach, so that shouldn’t be an issue (unless the length of the control cable is susceptible to interference).

I’d ditch the bucket and make room for a chiller.

I thought about it, but the bucket was free and doesn’t need an outlet! But I may upgrade later.

I’d make the drawers as deep as I could.

I’m split on wanting deep drawers that can fit everything, and efficient drawers that take up as little space as possible.

1 Like

Won’t you still need an outlet for a pump in your bucket?

My pump will be wired into my VFD cabinet. I guess I might be able to do the same with a chiller, but I would need a higher amperage relay.