Wiring H100 or V70 VFD to GX-12 6-pin spindle control on Elite Masso G3

Aiph5u,
Thanks, but I read all of the material in these posts multiple times before I sent my response. There is nothing in them that addresses the questions I asked because not even Masson explains the G-12 connections inside of the Touch case. The fact that the wiring there is not compatible with the wiring configurations listed in these links prompted me to ask my questions. I would value some additional help figuring out if I have to rewire the G-12 cable inside the Masso Touch case and the other two questions I asked.
cheers,
jrg
am glad to know that there is an important difference in the VFDs.

With this, you are in error.

Yes. This is what I said. Masso knows nothing about the custom GX-12 connector of the Onefinity Elite version. But the connection tables that I provided in the threads do. In fact, that is the reason why I saw the need to make them.

Please don’t do that, this is not at all necessary.

This will remain a secret to you if you don’t follow all the links I provided.

Hey Jeff,

here’s the connection table template:

Internal Masso G3
Spindle Control
Interface
FunctionGX12 6-pin connector
on Onefinity's Elite
Masso G3 Touch
Huanyang
HY Series VFD
G3GNDpin 1 blackgoes toFILL IN PIN HERE
SC10-10 V Analogpin 2 redgoes toFILL IN PIN HERE
SC4 & SC 6Commonpin 4 greengoes to FILL IN PIN HERE
SC5CWpin 3 yellowgoes to FILL IN PIN HERE
SC7CCWpin 6 bluegoes to FILL IN PIN HERE

Notes:
CW = Motor clockwise rotation (forward)
CCW = Motor counter-clockwise rotation (reverse)

The Masso internal pins, the Onefinity Custom Connector on the bottom of the Elite Masso housing, and the side of the cable for its GX-12 connector are already filled out. Feel free to fill in the missing values in the right column according to the Masso and the Huanyang documention (“Wiring diagram” in the Huanyang manual).

1 Like

@jgalin If you have GX12 cable, the only thing you have to do is to connect that cable to MassoG3 GX12 (female?)connector. Then, if your cable has different colors assigned to different pins than Masso, use volt meter and remap your cable to match with Masso colors(example: if pin1 is black on masso, and yours’s cable pin1 is yellow: so in your case connect yellow to pin1). Note: Do not change GX12 connector pins inside of Masso Touch. Make a drawing of your cable connector and keep it for later reference. In my case, I’m suspecting my VFD is faulty(but more likely that I’m over my head and lacking knowledge), so I just use VFD’s potentiometer to control spindle. Almost broke a few bits by not turning my spindle on, when hitting run program… and that’s the only negative(for me), always fearing to not turn spindle on and break expensive bits. :sweat_smile:
Also, click on every link that Aiph5u provided… very usefull info

I appreciate your time and comments as well as the table that Aiph5u offered. I did not summarize my connection concerns in a table but had seen Aiph5u’s table as I noted before. I really have read all of the materials he pointed to multiple times. I guess I am being too long-winded.

Since Masso does not recommend using terminal 2 and 3 on the Masso board and does recommend using terminal 7 for REV, I cannot wire the cable properly unless I know why Onefinity has connected terminal 2 and whether it is taking the place of something else. I am writing to Onefinity to get the answer. If I can get to the bottom of this question, I will post an update.

I suppose I can ground the cable shielding for the G-12 connector on the same terminal as the ground for the spindle cable. If not, perhaps you can let me know.

BTW, I have updated the table to show all connections, wire colors, and differences from what Masso recommends for Huanyang VFDs.

cheers,
jrg

Hey Jeff,

no one has the pins SC2 and SC3 on the internal Masso G3 connected, neither Onefinity nor Masso in its example. Pin “2 red” on the GX12 connector is connected to SC1 and controls the spindle speed with the analog line; it goes to the analog voltage input of the VFD. Don’t mix up the pin numbers of the GX12 connector and the internal MASSO G3 ports.

And as of the pin SC7 for counter-clockwise rotation, that goes to pin “6 blue” on the GX12 connector, you’ll just have to ask yourself if will you ever need to use the spindle rotating in the wrong direction (with M4 command). On a CNC router, this is rather unusual.

Aiph5u,
Please don’t take my persistence as criticism, but I believe you missed the image that I posted above of the Masso board as it was shipped from Onefinity in my Elite Journeyman with its TTL blue wire connected to terminal two. For clarity’s sake, I am posting the image again and highlighting the connection.

I am concerned that if I have both SC 2 on Masso Spindle control connected with the CW-Directional 5v TTL signal wire and SC 5 connected to the VFD, there may be a conflict. It is my understanding that one or the other of these terminals should be connected. This is where I may be mistaken. This is what I have been trying to ask about from the start. I am sorry if I have not been clear. And nothing in the previous posts on this issue has addressed this concern.

Onefinity support wrote me back about why they do not connect the blue wire from G-12 pin six to the Masso board at SC7. They say that woodworking does not need reverse. Mostly it is used for metalworking for creating screws. I will try to clarify with them my question above. However, if others look inside their Masso housing and trace the wires from the G-12 to the Masso board, it would be easy to confirm if:

1. Onefinity is wiring things differently in recent shipments (Oct for me)
  2. all machines are wired this way and others have not had problems because there is no conflict in attaching SC5 to “FOR” even though there is a TTL wire attached to SC2; or
  3. I have to remove the SC2 wire if I want to follow the recommended diagram from Masso for the Huanyang VFD.
1 Like

@jgalin I see your point Jeff.
Just opened my masso, and I have two blue wires connected under spindle control: pin 2 and pin 7. :thinking:

Hey Jeff,

you are right, there is something connected to SC2. This is the TTL level output version of the optocoupler output version for “CW”, SC5. I did not know that, and I do not know why they use the pin. Also I cannot see in your image to where this wire goes and what the overall circuit is. I don’t own and will never own a MASSO G3 controller. You should ask support@onefinitycnc.com for what this is for. Possibly it is for Emergency stop wiring. But connecting the other pins as described while at same time this wire is at SC2 will probably not impact functionality of your wiring.

Note that in the official Onefinity support document “Support: VFD/SPINDLE wiring schematic for Elite Masso machines”, this connection is not documented.

1 Like

Andre,

Thanks for your feedback. So I guess it is OK to have things wired this way. I appreciate your input. It is a shame that Onefinity will not document why they have wired the Masso board in this way. I have never purchased a piece of equipment with an external connector that had no documentation from the manufacturer. Even worse, they will not offer any explanation when asked. I am still waiting for a response from Masso. I am hoping they clarify. I will post an update if they do.

Cheers,

jrg

1 Like

Possibly it is for Emergency stop wiring. But connecting the other pins as described while at same time this wire is at SC2 will probably not impact functionality of your wiring.

Hey Jeff,

this was posted in the wrong thread. I put the solution into the right thread here. Please check if everything is correct.

1 Like

Aiph5u,
No problem linking the discussion to the proper thread. Thanks.
jrg

I had watched the Masso video by Peter talking about wiring the Masso Touch to a VFD several times but just paid better attention to his last thoughts segment at the end. (https://youtu.be/AzOOY9UHMas?t=1021).

I wish I had paid better attention to this segment before. According to him, terminals SC 2 and 3 are TTL (transistor, transistor logic circuits) only. They are 5 volt and cannot power resistors or other circuits. They do, however, control forward (2) and reverse (3) if the correct circuitry is present in the spindle. He said that “they both run together with the optocouplers,” which I think means they can run simultaneously with terminals 5 and 7.

Lastly, he says that whenever possible, use the optocouplers rather than TTL outputs (2 and 3) because the former can be user-replaced if damaged, but not the TTL outputs.

This last comment is what made me wonder if I should just remove the TTL circuit from SC2. I am leaving it for now.

Given Adre’s comment above, however, I think it is safe to say that I can ignore the SC2 connection since others have done so and leave the “REV” terminal on my VFD unconnected because I will not need reverse with woodworking, and I would have to connect the wire inside the Masso case to terminal SC7 if I wanted my VFD to work in reverse anyway.

Hope this thread is useful to others.
cheers,
jrg

1 Like

Hey Jeff,

yes, this exactly is what I tried to express above.

I think it could be part of something (I cannot see the overall circuit) so I would leave it in place but it will not interfere.

Spooky. I have just received my elite upgrade and the blue wire (and white wire) go nowhere. They are just folded back on themselves and taped up. Made me wonder why even solder white and blue wires on unless they’re insurance against fixing issues arising, but do not know what.