Wont read my project files

After downloading my project files from Easel and CarbonCreate to my thumb drive I Plug it into the controller and I can see them on the screen but when I go to select one It shows an X. It should work and Im missing something but I don’t know what. The machine run beautifully otherwise . I just got this amazing machine and I can’t use it. Frustrated works.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you feeding it the propriety files of those programs or did you tell the program to save the G-code? Should be fine reading G-Code from both those programs, I’ve done it.

1 Like

Yes, you need to copy ONLY the G-code files, and if your software needs perimeters for the machine (what is called a “post” - really a DLL or print driver), select any GRBL (Gerber language) and voilá!

Hey Philip @Woody989,

Hey @StirringCreations,

welcome to the forum and thank you for helping!

Just a side note, grbl has nothing to do with Gerber (although you can use grbl to mill a pcb :slight_smile:).

Hey Atroz. thanks for trying to help. I went back to Carbide Create and re opened a recent file, hi-lighted it, simulated a tool path, so far so good. I save the G-code to my thumb drive and its there with a nc. after it. I did that for a few more files and plugged them into my Onefinity they showed up but X ed when I selected any file, and they all had the nc. suffix, Carbon Create even gave the time it would take to finish. I haven’t tried it with Easel yet but that’s next. I found a file converter that would work but they want $ 90 a mo. They do have a free trial I might try but that feels like cheating.
If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks

There’s NO reason to buy a file converter.

What operating system are you using? What file format is the USB stick? Should be a FAT or EXFAT format (i.e. windows format). You can avoid the whole USB stick issue if you use a network (ethernet or WiFi) to get the file over instead.

It really is as easy as taking the .nc file from CC and opening it in the web UI of the onefinity. There’s nothing else to it.

With Easel I think I told it I had the onefinity device so it put out a compatible file but again, just a .nc file and off you go.

try naming one of the files to test.nc

Correct! Thanks for the correction, I know this being Canadian, but have fat fingers on a small phone LoL. Thanks again! I appreciate the catch. Yes, GRBL is simply G-code (aka RS-274), complete with “prepratory” codes (M, F, J, IO et al). The company Gerber, primarily the vinyl cutter division, was involved minimally of the standardization of the BCL (Binary Cutter Language) implementation for mainly straight lines and curves/arcs, so they called it that to imply involvement LoL… Sure, great machines, but I admit the brand name marketing taints my vernacular. Crafty bugger there haha. I was schooled under Fanuc and Siemens manufacturers standards.

1 Like

I did and it didn’t work. It’s still driving me crazy. I bought a Wi-Fi booster today and of all days my internet is intermittent. I’ll keep trying. Thanks

Hello again, just thought I’d let you know what’s up. I’m using my Mac laptop and a formatted thumb drive to the Fat format and loaded some nc. files. 1finity couldn’t open them. So I bought a Wi-Fi extender thinking that’s the problem. I installed it and still nada. I’m gonna pull my hair out if I don’t make some progress. I must be missing something somewhere.

any way to make a video of what you’re doing on the computer (file creation and exporting of gcode, formatting of the usb stick, then moving it to the onefinity and it not seeing the file) and share it here? Maybe a private youtube link? That would be most helpful.

1 Like

Hey Philip,

could you, on the Onefinity CNC Controller,

1. Open a terminal window (Hold down “Ctrl” and then click “T” and then “C”)
  2. Into the terminal window that opens then, enter the following:
sudo ls -l /var/lib/bbctrl/upload

and show the output?

Hi Atroz, I tried to connect to my network and run things remotely. We use Centurylink and they have a program that helps you establish the connection. I follow the prompts and re-boot the router, open safari, type in my address and it sends me back to the start of the router configuration program.
I re-enter all the info and the same.Tomorrow Im going to take the router to the machine and make a physical connection. If that doesn’t work its got to be the 1finity. I’ll keep you informed.

Hello and thanks for the tip. Ive been beating my head against this wall since last Tuesday when it arrived. I’ll try your idea tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks

Hey Philip,

could you then please try these commands:

sudo ls -l /var/lib/bbctrl/upload
sudo ls -dl /var/lib/bbctrl/upload
sudo mount -l

This is just to see if there is something wrong with the permissions, ownerships, and names of the files and the directory, and the mount options.

1 Like

I don’t know why you are messing with your router. By default it should be giving out an IP address to anybody that asks (after authenticating to the WiFi network or physically plugging in ethernet cable) and that includes the Onefinity controller so long as you have properly configured the controller. Did you follow these instructions? Connecting The Onefinity CNC To A Network - YouTube

1 Like

Hey Atroz, hey Philip @Woody989,

yes Atroz is right, the issue you describe should not have anything to do with your router or with your network connection - at least in case you still use your thumb/USB/flash drive to transport the files to the Onefinity Controller.

Hey Philip,

were you able to resolve this issue? What was the reason why you could not open the files on your thumb stick?

Hey phillip im like you problem would pull my hair out but just got a hair cut could have saved myself 30 dollars