Work with a UPS

Has anyone tried to interface a UPS with the controller.

It would be nice to pause the program and raise the bit in the event of a power outage.

My worry would be that the power outage stops the router and the bit snaps as the controller continues to move thru the cut.

That’s kind of what I was getting at. My APC have a feature that will shut down my systems in the event of a power outage.

I don’t know if there is a simple way to have the UPS trigger G-code that will stop the router and raise the bit before shutting down the system. (It is doubtful it coud raise the bit before the spindle stopped spinning.)

I plan on running my controller on a UPS mainly for the AC filtering. Losing power would be a problem exactly for the reason you described above. If I had a bigger UPS I could run the router and the controller but that is a bit pricey.

Hey Ziggy,

You would not need to create Gcode to control the VFD in order to shut the spindle down.

The UPS shutting down the computer is a common thing, many people, including me, use nut for this (which would be easy to install on (Raspberry Pi 3-based-) Onefinity Controller since it’s in raspberrypi.org repository), and for emergency shutdown of the spindle you may trigger the VFD’s ISO 13849-1 Safety Inputs (or similarly programmed Input Terminals available on any VFD). I showed diagrams here the other day.

Brilliant!! This is exactly what I was looking for! I didn’t want to have to reinvent the wheel.

As soon as I get my system back together I wll give it a try!!

Thanks Aiph5u!