Working on a mid-century modern tea table and needed a fixture

I designed this little tea table (like a coffee table, but smaller). I got the top glued up and then realized I really didn’t know how to repeatably drill the compound angle holes for the legs.

Enter: Onefinity (+ some CAM)

I went back to CAD and used the very same compound plane which I used to draw the legs to slice a block.

I used some carpet tape to stick a fixture block to my compound angle wedge.

Clamped the whole mess into the drill press and hogged out a hole of the appropriate size.

I know this isn’t the standard finished product that most people post, but I wanted to share how some creative thinking and a fantastic CNC machine helped me make a drill guide fixture that would have otherwise been extremely tricky.

Happy making everyone

-Nick
@convenientwoodworking

5 Likes

Any reason, other than speed, that you didn’t just use the 1F to cut the hole once you had the fixture rigged up, Nick?

1 Like

I definitely could have but I was using a 1-3/8" forstner bit for the hole since that is what I have (and designed the legs around) and it was simplest to just use that bit and not worry about the sizes matching up if I used the CNC

1 Like

Good use of the 1F there Nick. I’m curious though how exactly you designed then cut the compound angle wedge. Thanks for sharing this

I’ll do my best to describe it using just words, but I can maybe make a video tomorrow if it is still confusing.

I modeled my tabletop on the cardinal XY plane, extruded into Z. I wanted the legs to splay in both directions but not equally. So I created a set of stacked offset planes (ie plane 1 is offset from the cardinal XY plane and plane 2 is offset from plane 1). I parameterized the two angles and played with them until the legs looked visually correct.

Just for discussion’s sake (and because I don’t recall exactly what those angles were) we’ll say they were -15° W and 5° P*.

So now I have an auxillary plane 2 that is canted in W and P relative to the XY plane. So I sketch and extrude a cube of the appropriate size which is bisected by my new plane 2. Using the slice command in Fusion360 I can turn one body into two using plane 2 as the slicing tool. Delete the unneeded top half and I have the solid body I need to take into CAM!

*The three cardinal axes are X, Y, and Z. Rotations about those axes are W, P, and R respectively.

I think I understand but don’t use Fusion360 and don’t think Maker can do that sort of thing. I think a video would be of interest to many and appreciated. I love using my machine to make router templates and such so this peaked my interest. What bit did you use to cut such a nice flat compound angle?
thanks again

1 Like

I’ll try and do a quick screen record with some basic audio dubbing tomorrow.

I used a 1/4" flat end mill with roughly 80% step over and then hit it with an 80 grit pass on my random orbital. It was a bit scalloped before the sanding, but not much at all.

2 Likes

Very nice - I’ve tilted my drill press table for one dimension, and used an angle top for the 2nd dimension, but getting everything correct and repeatable was always a challenge. I like using the 1F to do the hard work, and keeping the drill press nice and square!

2 Likes

I captured 15 minutes or so of video and realized that you can’t see any of the pop-up windows in Fusion :man_facepalming:

I’ll still get a video made, just not today!

1 Like

Did you try Fusion’s screencasting application?

1 Like

I didn’t know this existed! I’ll check it out