Y axis out of sync during a cut

I’ve been testing this new machine and all was going well. Started making a spoil board… I’ve run several tool paths and all was going smooth. I started a drill path and about a 1/3 of the way in, the Y axis got out of sync. Looks like the RH side lags back. I tried restarting the controller. same outcome. I tried a new toolpath. same problem. It’s not always in the same spot, so i don’t think its file/code related. I’ve checked all the connections. Any ideas?

You might try checking the cable connections. I’ve actually accidentally caught mine on something before and slightly pulled it out of socket at front of the machine. Was behaving similar.

Your fix is here most likely:

1 Like

I’m triple checked the connections and all looks good. I checked the ball screw connections on both sides and they were tight. The LH side is the side that stops. I’ve only been able to replicate it on high speed y movement, both running a drilling tool path and using the hand held controls. I’ve also verified that the y rails are square.

What are my next steps?

Hey Scott,

1. which method did you use? Using a square is not accurate enough, and a square of this size and at same time of sufficient precision would cost many hundreds of dollars/euros. The best method is the compare diagonals method. No measuring is needed, just a bar gauge to compare them.
  2. did you not only check for rectangularity (“squared”), but also for coplanarity (“not twisted”)?

In both cases if it is not accurately adjusted, the Y movement can block.

Generally the question on this issue is: Have you ensured that your machine is rectangular (“squared”) (bar gauge) and coplanar (“not twisted”) (fishing line method).

If you made sure both of these, and the issue persists, I recommend checking one by one the points in this support document:

1 Like

Hi, I cross measured to check for square. I did not check for twisting… check that this morning and made some adjustments. It looks like that was the problem. I ran a few tests and it seems to be cleared up. Thanks for the advise!

1 Like