Y rail ball screw bearing problem

Hi all, greetings from the very wet UK.
I was hoping that one of you experts may be able to help me.
I have been noticing that my Y axis has been getting louder and louder, particularly from the left hand side.
I thought that it may be due to dust build up in the ball screw bearing so I have cleaned and lubriacted it.
This did not resolve the issue so after taking out the two bolts holding the ball nut and then tried manually turning the ball screw.
It did not feel smooth at all and felt very ‘notchy’.
I can only assume that one or all of the bearings is either dry or failing.
Has anyone else had this problem and did you resolve it?
Many thanks for any help you can give.

Hey Neil,

how long have you been using the machine?

Did you do the maintenance (wood dust removal and oiling) regularly according to the support video?

Does your dust collection system draw all the wood dust?

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hi - many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have had the machine a little less than a year, but purchased it used so dont know what maintenance it has had in the past.

I have cleaned the and oiled all of the parts as per the Onefinty maintenance programme but the problem still the problem remains.

From the links that you sent me I am going to try checking that the end nut is not too tight - will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for taking the time to repsond!

1 Like

For me the are only two possiblities:

The ball scew is damaged which is unlikely.

One of the set screws in the wiper of the ball nut is too tight which is likely.

Did you remove the wipers while cleaning? If so did you make sure not to overtighten the set screws in the wiper?

If the ball nut is damaged it is easy to order a new one through 1F or a third party supplier. The Y axis needs a SFU1610 on the Pro and elite models.

1 Like

Tom - thank you for your response.

I too expected the problem to be with the ball nut, but I have removed the ball nut retaining bolts and it turns smoothly on the ball screw.

With the ball nut loose on the ball screw, if I then turn the ball screw by hand it does not turn smoothly and feels ‘notchy’ and that is why I assume that the ball race supports are the problem.