Z Axis jitters during first homing

When I turn on the machine and push home xyz. Z axis will go to the top and set and jitter until it triggers the e shut off. I have tried cleaning it and running it up and down, shutting the machine off and doing it over. Nothing I know how to do will allow me do the first homing of Z and if I do it is over homed. I know it is probably a setting some where. HELP. just learning.

Are you using the Buildbotics controller? If so, the stall homing might need adjustment. There is a Onefinity video that shows how to do this. Also, I have found Onefinity tech support to be very quick to respond to emails.

Yes, my husband says we are using the Buildbotics controller. So I will go lookup the video. Thank you for your response.

1 Like

You may check if your cable is securely connected, and also check your speed setting for your z motor to see if it is too small.

My husband and I checked the cables first thing. I am not sure how to check the speed setting or more motor size. We are using the Makita Router RT0701C for the spindle and the motor is Stepper Motor 2.8A, it came with the machine. It will work the way it is but I don’t want to hurt the machine by having it jitter until it kicks of the yellow warning. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

It does seem like the stall homing isn’t working right. I know sailormike suggested this already but this video explains how it works.

It wont hurt your stepper motor but the way its acting seems like it never sees enough current to sense that it has stalled. Here are my Z stall settings.

1 Like

I looked at the Z stall setting and did adjust the Stall-current down to .4 and it stopped the jittering. It is nice to know that it changes with the weather. Because it was doing OK until the temps went up to the 90s. Thanks you everyone. I think I have it working. I also had to change for the X.

1 Like