Z axis not moving during carving

New Elite Woodworker set up and apparently working fine. Loaded a test program, probed for Z, raised the Z to install the dust boot, and ran the program. X and Y axes moved as expected, but Z didn’t move from the position that I put it in to install the dust boot. Any ideas?

a few troubleshooting thoughts:
assume you didn’t re-zero after you moved z to install the dust boot?
when you ran your program through simulator, does it show z movement correctly?
if you move the z manually does it move now? can you use G code to move z up or down from controller?
double check the z cables are connected and not shorted? could your Dust collection hose hit the z cables? does it work if you do it again and don’t attach dust collection?

My file has the XY datum set to the center of the material. The Z zero is set to the surface of the material. I moved the router to the center of the material and set the XY zeroes. I then used the touch probe to probe for Z. When the machine retracts from the probe it goes to a height of 1.227 inches (I assume that’s preset). I then manually raise the Z to replace the dust boot. Now, when I run the gcode, the Z axis returns to the 1.227 inch height and then the machine “air carves” through the rest of the file.

Hey Stan!
If you are setting x,y to the center of your material, you might as well set z using the paper method.
Cheers, Neil

One observation I had with mine on the subject of Z height was after probing Z height you can’t move the Z again or it will air carve as you mentioned.

To give an example when I started out;
I’d zero everything using the probe then I’d raise the Z and install the dust boot brush and start the carve. What would happen is the Z would then drop to the height it was initially probed at and start air carving. I’ve since not touched the Z after I probe.

I’d mention I’m completely new and sure that it’s just something I haven’t learned yet.

after you have set Z, if you go back to z home is it at the expected height? if in doubt, move x/y off the work piece (so you will not hit that when returning home) and then do z home and make sure it is at the height expected.