Z axis position error

I really could use some help, i am about ready to send this unit back. I cant seem to find the answer on how to fix this Z error:
Z axis position 101.6mm is greater than maximum soft limit 0mm
While executing GCode block:G0 Z4
At: ./upload/one.ngc:4
Caused by: Z axis position 101.6mm is greater than maximum soft limit 0mm

Home my machine during the start up as normal. I use probe XYZ and still get the about error. I am trying to cut down .125 on a .75 piece of ply wood

I have my work piece on a piece of MDF just over .5. Would love some help.

The controller is indicating your g code is attempting to raise the Z axis higher than the machine is physically able to raise the axis by 101.6mm. This could be caused by several factors but I would start with how you set the Z axis work zero, it appears the work zero is at the top of the axis travel (the offending command is G0 Z4 (imperial) which would be exactly 101.6mm). Most likely you need to set the end of the bit at the start point you specified in the CAM program and hit the ā€œzeroā€ button(s) on the controller screen (the ones that look like a map pin)

This provides more explanation:

1 Like

Hey Joe,

do you have loaded a program of your own?

It seems my bit in the chuck needed to be updated. Thank you all for the quick replies. Trust me, i am sure you will hear from me again. Happy cutting.

Joe

1 Like

Hey Joe,

The Z4 indicates that your program is a program that requires you probed your Z at least four inches below topmost Z position, as the travel in the command is a positive value, which means the movement direction of Z is upwards with this command. Did you probe Z? Before you execute the program, which value is shown in the ā€œoffsetā€ column for Z, and which value is in the ā€œabsoluteā€ column?

Welcome to the forum!

It appears from your initial entry that you have some items specified in Imperial and some in Metric?

I used a longer bit and it is in the chuck as high as it can go, i get:

Caution: The current tool path file would move 0.326 in above axis limit with the current offset.

Can this be corrected by moving the whole Router up or down a hole. Currently i am using the middle.

I want it all in Imperial, do you know how i can do this?

Yes i did zero out. I had to rechuck my bit and seemed to work.

Hi Joe,
You donā€™t indicate what CAD/CAM software you are using, but all of them have a choice in design and toolpathing in either Imperial or Metric. If you use V-carve its in the material setup page. Regardless, you should stick with one unit of measure throughout, or problems will be big. Once you choose a unit in design, and tool path, save it to a USB or whatever WIFI sending you use, make sure the Post Processor is also in the same units, or again, problems will happen.

I assume you will design in Imperial, toolpath in inches (not mm) and load it to your Infinity that way. The Infinity screen has a choice just below the homing and zeroing area for selecting Imperial or Metric, and again it needs to agree with your design.
Letā€™s see if that works better for you.

If you have any of the X-35/50 machines, the Z axis has about 4ish inches in total movement, depending on which holes itā€™s mounted and the spoil board height. The homing sequence will establish the top position as the software max start point, and then the ā€œbottomā€ position is variable depending on how long your bit is, how far you stick it out, and then either the top of material as the start point or the surface of the spoil board bed depending on your design.

So, typically, if I have a 3/4 material on the spoil board and I selected the top of material as my start point, I bring the bit down to the top of my material and when it just touches, press the Z zero button to establish where you will start the cut. It will still alarm that there is an error, until you load your cut file, and only then it will it know the total Z capability and if it can meet what you have asked of it. The machine is designed to prevent you from asking more of it than it can do, but till you load the active file, and it is homed and shown where the surface is, can it decide if it is possible to do.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry I thought you would know that Iā€™m using carvco since itā€™s a one finity they came with a free year

Hi Joe,

Sorry, I also have Carveco with my new Elite, but donā€™t know how to use it yet. I have been a Vectric user for over 20 years, so I stick with it. Maybe somebody else can chime in on how to explore chip load.