Z axis error message

Please help. I am recieving an error message regarding the z axis. I believe it is affecting how the bit stter is running also.

Basically, the Onefinity is saying that somewhere in your G-code is a command that will send the Z axis beyond the range of travel it is capable of; either too high (positive) or low (negative) direction.

As an example, if I load a 1/8" bit and try to cut all the way through my spoilboard (not the workpiece), I will get this error because the router will bottom-out first before reaching the underside of the spoilboard (i.e. reach the table the machine is mounted on).

This “soft limit” is simply a number (not physical limit switch) that is in the settings and tells the machine, starting at zero (the router all the way up), do not allow it to accept commands going beyond this number.

I also had this happen with 1/4" bits trying to carve too deep because I had the bit just the slightest amount too far inside the router. Simply lowering the bit in the router by 1/8 - 1/4" was enough for the code to run.

For clarity, the error message states “maximum soft limit While executing GCode block: G0 Z0.8” which kind of tells me that your issue may actually be related to making the Z axis raise UP too far? I could be wrong with this assumption, but the error message is still telling you the machine is trying to travel beyond its limits.

3 Likes

Hey Jim,

Looking at your offset column they are all at 0 which tells me you have not set X, Y or Z work coordinates. I think once you set your working coordinates you will be ok, most importantly Z. The Z offset should be a negative value. If you are using Vectric software G0 Z0.8” is the default initial Start/Home/Safe Z Move above the material and first move command in the gcode file.

2 Likes

Thank you Vince. I’m new with the 1f and I am struggling a bit with setting the tool up on the work surface. It doesn’t help that the bit setter does not appear to be working. I have found that zeroing the tool at the work surface at lower left is working for the moment. I may need to watch a few more videos.

Also, make sure you load your program first.