Z stepper motor not working stopped working

was working, shows in the control screen it is moving. A nd in the indicators screen has all green thumbs up icons. is there way to check the plug going to the stepper motor with a vom?

There are 2 windings in the stepper motor you should measure roughly 1.9 ohms on each winding. The windings are A (black - green) and B (red - blue)

1 Like

Thank you, can I measure any voltages coming from the controller to the stepper

I am getting .7 ohms on the windings.

what kind of voltage should I get from the controller or can you measure that?

The answer will sort of ‘it depends’, it is an AC(ish) waveform that varies in frequency with the number of steps, micro stepping and pulses per second. The Onefinity is currently in use so I attempted to test a Gecko driver on the bench with no stepper motor attached to see and it’s not outputting any voltage, it may be smart enough to recognize it is an open circuit. I can’t give you a definitive answer without testing in circuit.

Does the Z stepper motor get warm when plugged in from the holding current? I would rule out any broken wires/connections (perhaps perform the resistance check at the connection to the controller). If all of that tests good I’d open a case with support@onefinitycnc.com

I just did a continuity test on the M3 cable and I don’t have continuity. I checked the M0 cable
and I have continuity. so, I think I’ll try swaping the cables and see if I can get it to move.

well, I swapped the cable and I am getting signal to the Z stepper motor. But it tries to move now but just vibrates in both directions. Now I am really confused.

Two of the wires in the ‘curly’ cable are swapped around from one end to the other, the two near the locking tab side. If you remove that cable and the swapped connection it provides you will get the behavior you are describing.

1 Like

it was working until today. then trouble shooting the m3 cable showed no continuity. so, I swapped the m0 cable for the m3 cable. that’s when it started the chatter. are the pin configurations different between the two cables to cause this behavior?

i got it thanks alot everybody. A connector from an extension cable I got from onefinity inside my cable management conduit came loose. okay now. thanks again everybody for your help.