Zhong Hua Jiang CNC Spindle,110V 1.5KW and H100 VFD. Need Modbus settings

Hi everybody, just completed adding 65mm spindle Zhong Hua Jang air cooled with a H100-1,5C2 1B VFD. This is what I learned on my journey.

Spindle is approximately 238mm (9.37") long when installed in the Z16 clamp it protrudes a whopping 120mm (4.72") from the clamp. I was able to measure 0.50mm (0.020") deflection at the collet with not a lot of force TBH. So I went the Nema 23, 50mm spacer route to raise the stepper motor and reduce the spindle protruding to 70mm (2.7") with the same approximate force I measured 0.1mm (0.05") deflection - happy camper!

Next set up the VFD using the standard settings for the HY VFD and V70, both the HY and V70 are options within the 1F BBC sowtware. Oddly the V70 selection worked best for my VFD/Spindle.

Issues I encoutered:

1. No communication between VFD and the Controller using the HY configuration from the 1F BBC software drop down list. Could not get rid of the “timeout” condition no matter what I did.

Checked all connections “belled out” cables all fine – stumped.

Went back to BBC software and scrolled through the VFD listing and loaded V70 settings, the condition changed from “timeout” to alternating between “OK, NRC fault” progress sort of!

After further investigation I found by jiggling the break out box on the back of the BBC sometimes the signal would hold and the “OK” would stick – yay found problem number 2.

1. The breakout box connection would not seat properly on the back of the port on the back of the BBC due to the standoffs for securing the breakout box to the BBC are too high, I removed them and the condition then went to a permanent “NRC fault” and no longer alternated back and fore from “NRC fault and OK” – found problem number 3

2. In the Breakout Box we used pin outs 13+Ve and 14-Ve and attach to corresponding +Ve and -Ve connections on the VFD, well on the VFD the labelling was incorrect, so I swapped the 2 wires, and everything works great.

For fun I switched the settings back to HY configuration as the BBC, VFD and Spindle were all playing nicely together under the V70 configuration, well that was not a smart move right back to a “timeout” error! So went back to the V70 configuration and it all works again.

I have test ran 2 programs all is good.

Checked grounding everything is grounded back to receptacle.

Time taken 12 hours over 2 days!

My total cost for this conversion to a 65mm spindle with VFD is $565CDN. If I had an extra $600CDN I would of saved a ton of hassle and gone with PWN CNC. If I went with an 80mm spindle and heavy duty Z 20 and a PWN system it would be nipping at $2,000CDN

1 Like