1.4.0 Alpha 5 (Macros update, now with FILE MANAGEMENT! )

4/10/24

1.4.0 Macros Update ALPHA 5

This is the third fifth release version of firmware 1.4.0

This is test firmware. As with all test/alpha/beta software, DO NOT INSTALL unless you like to be on the bleeding edge and can live with potential bugs.

Alpha 5 adds:

This update includes:

• Add the ability to have up to 20 custom Macros.

Fixed from alpha 3/4:

• Rename Macros to Macro
  • Ui Glitch on text box resize issue
  • Rewored PWN cnc value 5 to 6, hopefully fixed now
  • Changed the UI Field value back to ā€œcurrent lineā€ rather than ā€˜current timeā€™ on the main screen
  • Fixed deleting g-code and folders and syncing in remote browsers
  • Fixed ā€˜file already existsā€™
  • Other various fixes

Known Issues:

• If you name a macro the same as a file name, when deleting the file name or macro, it will delete both.

Download here

(click the blue link below to download. Do not unzip the file.):
bbctrl-1.4.0-alpha-5.tar.bz2 (2.7 MB)

How To Install:

Updating via USB
Youā€™ll do an update via USB using the following steps:
After downloading, DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE!!!
Copy the blue .bz2 file above onto a usb stick (it must be formatted as fat 32 or ntsf). Click the flyout menu (three bars on top left), general, under firmware click ā€˜UPLOADā€™. Select the 1.3 file.
If you are on firmware 1.0.8 or lower, it may ask for a password.
the password to update will either be buildbotics or onefinity

Manual on how to update.

Why would you want Macros?

Macro buttons on a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine, such as the Onefinity CNC, can offer several advantages for users. Here are some reasons why Onefinity CNC users might want macro buttons:

1. Workflow Efficiency: Macro buttons allow users to automate sequences of commands or repetitive tasks with a single button press. This can significantly streamline the workflow and reduce the time and effort required to perform certain operations.
  2. Customization: CNC users often have specific preferences and workflows. Macro buttons provide a way to customize the machineā€™s operation according to individual needs, making it easier for users to work with the machine in a way that suits their style.
  3. Complex Operations: CNC machining may involve complex operations with multiple steps. Macro buttons can be programmed to execute these sequences, simplifying the process for users and reducing the chance of errors.
  4. Repeatability: Macros ensure consistent and repeatable results. Users can save specific toolpaths, speeds, and other parameters in macros, ensuring that the same settings are applied consistently across different projects.
  5. Reduced Operator Fatigue: Automation through macro buttons can help reduce operator fatigue by automating repetitive tasks, allowing users to focus on more critical aspects of the machining process.
  6. Emergency Situations: In case of an emergency or unexpected situation, having macro buttons with predefined emergency procedures can be crucial for quickly stopping or pausing the machine, preventing potential damage.
  7. Learning Curve: For users who are new to CNC machining, macro buttons can simplify the learning curve. Instead of memorizing complex commands, users can rely on macro buttons for common tasks until they become more familiar with the machineā€™s operation.

How the Macros work:

Upon install you will notice 8 unassigned Macro buttons below the probe buttons and above the play/stop buttons.
You can assign any gcode you want to these buttons. It will always show a minimum of 8 buttons but up to 20 macro buttons can be created.

How to assign the Macros.

Push the 3 line button in the upper left of the main screen to access the flyout menu. The MACROS word will be near the top. Tap this access the macros setting.

Macros Configuration Page

The macro configuration page is how you add or remove or edit the macro functions. At the top you have the delete all button, which deletes all macros youā€™ve created and sets Macros back to default of 8 with nothing assigned.
The New Macros button assigns a new macros button starting with Macro 9 through 20.
Delete Selected button will delete any selected macros from 9-20. It will not delete the default 1-8 macro buttons. 8 will always be showing.

Below that is the ā€˜select a macrosā€™ drop down. You will click this drop down to access the macros button you want to assign a function to.

Macros name has a default white box on the left and a text box on the right. The left box assigns the macros a color, and the text box names the macro. The text can contain up to 15 characters. Special characters (like &%^$(*(#, etc) MAY not work (as this hasnā€™t been tested n itā€™s alpha firmware state).

Below that is the Macros G-Code section.
The left has a drop down box that says Create G-Code by default. To the right is the upload button, and to the right of that is the delete button.

The drop down allows you to select any Macros youā€™ve written or uploaded in the past. The upload button will upload gcode (must be a file that ends in .nc). We have some premade Macros in this linked forum post.
The delete button will delete the gcode assigned to this macro.

The text box at the very bottom is where you can write custom gcode on the fly, see the gcode of any uploaded macros, or edit any macro gcode.

Finally, the save button is at the bottom and must be pushed for any changes made to occur.

Default view of the macros setting:

Parking Gcode example:

Confirmation box

What it looks like when a macro is assigned:

Where can I get premade Macros?

1 Like

Does this version have new features? what is the file management thing?

Keep up your awesome work @OnefinityCNC

@OnefinityCNC is it possible to allow longer folder names? it seems limited to 15 characters It would be nice to allow 100 characters

Also, when we delete a gcode, we have the option to delete everything or selected file. Is it possible to delete the files contained in the folder while keeping the folder?

1 Like

Macros get deleted sometimes on its own, Iā€™m not too sure how. I think it happens when I delete all gcodes, but not all the time

1 Like

Okay so I did a Delete all, and it wiped out my macros. I reuploaded them and delete all doesnā€™t remove them. maybe they needed to be fresh due to file management?

also can we get delete all to ONLY delete everything in the folder we are in? right now it deletes everything all folders.

Thanks, File management is gonna be nice.

1 Like

I can confirm it did delete all macros at 3 times, but I canā€™t figure out what exacly provokes itā€¦ as if it was randomā€¦ Although I did delete all at least 30 times since thenā€¦

2 Likes

For those of use that do separate files per tool path, loading an entire folder of gcode is amazeballs.

Other than Macros being deleted during delete all (occasional) and hopeful changes to delete all being current folder only. file management looks good.

PWNCNC profile is working as it should now.

Still looking for some discussion around why Macro G-code shows up after deleting all gcode.

Thanks for all your hard work, cant wait to see whats next.

3 Likes

I noticed that when you upload a whole folder, it will try to upload any file in this folder as well as subfoldersā€¦

It would be nice to have a checkbox to upload subfolders or not. I usually have a subfolder called archive where I can have older gcodes I donā€™t useā€¦

Maybe allow us to select multiple files instead of a whole folder would be more convenient, and would remove a button from the interface

@ahandeman and @Masrawy
Can you do the following test:

• Flash the OS fresh 1.3.1
  • Upgrade directly to 1.4 alpha 5
  • Retest the deleting of Macros issue.

Iā€™ll try and squeeze this in tomorrow

1 Like

I was able to reload to a fresh card then update.

I would highly recommend you ā€œdeleteā€ all your macros before you do a system back-up for restore.

Then rebuild them. I have randomly loaded and deleted and deleted all, and the Macros have stayed.

1 Like

Hi @ahandeman does it mean, your issue got resolved or do we need to look into any issue?

Thanks!

I have had no further issues for you to look into. but Iā€™d recommend on the next release or to anyone updating to the file management release to reset all macros to their original state before updating then rebuild them not from a back-up.

But there are other ā€œwants/wishesā€ in previous posts that could use some love.

3 Likes

Just loaded 1.4.0a5 today (4/22)ā€¦

• Hooray!! PWNCnC is fixed!
  • Can now also delete custom macros and unused macro buttons.

Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

Potential issue in OF configuration backup.
While checking the contents of the backup Json file thatā€™s produced after backing up configuration, I noticed something that doesnā€™t look right in the tool config sections, as indicated by red boxes in the attached document.

It appears that the same parameter is listed twice with different values. It occurs in two places. I havenā€™t tested this to see what issues it may present, but having two identically named tags having different values could present some interesting issues.

OF-Backup.pdf (851.1 KB)

Normal, one is for pwncnc, one is for pwm signal.
No issue.

Just popping in to mention that iā€™ve been using v1.4.0 Alpha 3 and itā€™s been working nicely with both my HY VFD and my PWM Laser. Iā€™m really appreciating MACRO support, thank you! Iā€™m updating to Alpha 5 today.

1 Like

Do we have an approximate date for the release of this version?

I just installed the 1.4 this week and I am liking it with the macros. Thanks to everyone that has made this happen and shared.

1 Like