1/4" or 1/8" For Profile Cuts

Most of my work on the Onefinity is profile cutting various shapes and items some of which we finish and sell some of which we sell on unfinished some are single items some are nested multi items
The wood is kiln dried English Oak with thicknesses from 5mm to 25mm. I am not forced to go for 1/8" due to the shape of the parts
I use down cut bits leaving an onion skink and always use blue tape and superglue for work holding.
Bits are either Amana or SPE solid carbide 1.5kw spindle running at 18k have no issues with bit wear or breakage or finish on the cut.
I am interested if anyone has any experience or info and weather it more efficient to use an 1/8" bit or 1/4" bit?
I know that I can get a bigger depth of cut with the 1/4 due to its bigger diameter tool data for both is very similar and obviously using the 1/8" with a shallower max cut depth would require more passes, but part of me feels that removing less material is more efficient.

Open to thoughts please

Cheers
D

@CSM My opinion is that if you can use the 1/4 bit it is more efficient. If you are cutting inside corners the 1/4 end mill leaves a bigger rounded corner. That corner would be less pronounced with a 1/8 end mill.

Dave

I use an 1/8" compression bit for all my profile cuts. Typically a single full depth pass in most materials 1/4"-3/4" thick such as plywood,MDF, walnut, cherry etc. I might change to 2-3 passes on hard maple or white oak, experiment to confirm.

What are your typical feeds & speeds for single pass 1/8" compression bit on various materials? Thanks.

I’m using 40 ipm feed, 20 plunge. Works good for me!

Rich Stephens
608-732-7932
fro@lagrant.net

1/8 inch compression. 0.1 inch down and 75ipm feed with 35ipm plunge

What is the RPM of the router/spindle?

For 75ipm, what is the RPM of the router/spindle?

#3 on the Makita, that’s what I run for just about everything.

1 Like

3-31/2 on Makita, 18k on spindle. Material is Baltic birch ply.

1 Like