1F Wall Mount System

Hi all
Please let me know if I’m being unduly concerned about the strain/wear on the gantry ball screw when the machine is used on a wall mount system.
It appears that the full weight of the Z assembly is, including additional mass if a spindle is used, being supported by the ball screw instead of the linear bearings. Will this not greatly increase the wear on the screw and the stepper motor over time leading to inaccuracies and a possible early failure? I would assume that the ball screw was not designed to be used in this way.
I would really like to buy the new wall mount system but this does put me off. Some input from Onefinity would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lee

Lee,

The OneFinity team has done extensive research into the viability of the machine being stored and used on its axis as there is no problem at all doing so. This is why they just released the wall mount system for the OneFinity yesterday.

Hope that eases your worries!
-Alex

2 Likes

Hi Alex
Good to know about the research before release.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Lee

I guess the question I would have is how extensive and, in particular, in what timeframe has this research occurred. My intuition tells me that adding gravity as a significant force against the X bearings and ball screw would not be a good thing. Gravity, of course, is a force acting on the Z bearings and ball screw in the more traditional configuration so maybe this system can handle the additional forces. Has this been looked at over a 2 month, 6 month, 1 year time frame? I would think that these force effects and resulting wear issues would be more pronounced over a longer rather than a shorter time frame. Certainly from a space standpoint this could be a game changer. That being said, this is an unconventional enough approach for this class of machine that before investing in this system I would like to hear directly from the 1F team regarding how this was researched as opposed to simply being told that it has been researched.

Hi Doug
I was thinking the same thing but since the answer was somewhat ‘protective’ I thought I’d not push it.

I was drawing up a carriage that could be pushed/pulled along with the gantry which would link via a cord to the Z assembly and pull up with the same constant force that it was pulling down with, therefore cancelling it out. That should remove any additional stress on the balls crew.

It would be good if 1F would extend the warranty to cover this aspect of component failure when used vertically. Would give extra confidence.

I do want to use my machine in this position so I might buy a ballscrew and stepper as critical spares, just incase.

I don’t have the specs for the bearings but it’s my belief that the dynamic loading of the bearings, even in a sideways mounted configuration would be a small fraction of its rated capacity. The only potential concern I see would be the additional work the X stepper needs to do when traveling in the + direction (as well as added thrust against the ballscrew nut & support bearing). Again though, this is probably well within the individual component specs. But perhaps there may be more dynamic concerns such as rapid direction changes of the X axis. With the machine flat, only the Z axis is doing any lifting. Now it’s the X axis in this setup.

1 Like

I didn’t want to create another wall mount category so I figured I’d just ask here.

How much vibration do you think will be transferred to the studs when using this type of mount? Does the 1F transfer a lot of vibration to stands or diy tables?

Asking because my shop is under my living room and I’d hate to get the vibration traveling up through the structure of the house.

Thanks for any insights as I am waiting for my 1F to arrive at the end of July.

Hi Jase
Looks like your machine will arrive before mine, you’ll have to let me know if there is any vibration.
Lee

1 Like

@Jases.Workshop I’ve had my machine for few months now and done a handful of carves, so not an expert, but to answer your “how much vibration” question: probably quite a bit.

I have my machine on a DIY wood table in a garage next our living room, and even without the direct contact through the wall that a stud mount would create, it can be a significant noise. I’d guess the movements and the vibration of the router/spindle will travel through the studs easily.

To avoid this, you might be able to reduce the “jerk” settings as low as possible, but that’s an uneducated guess.

1 Like

Hi all
I need some feedback on the wall mount system when used with a X50 woodworker with a 2.2kw spindle.

The Onefinity accessory page says “Spindles (which are not supported by Onefinity) will add too much weight and will not work with the wall mount”.

Do they mean too much weight for the X stepper or too much weight for the wall mount to hold to the wall? Surely the stepper is fine and as long as the wall mount is secure than all will be well.

If anyone can clarify this for me it would be much appreciated. I don’t want to buy it if its not suitable for a different reason.

Thanks
Lee

Too much weight for the x rail to work correctly.

If secured correctly, the machine should never ‘come off the wall’.

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for the clarification.
Is it just a case of retrofitting a higher torque stepper? (at my own risk of course).
Thanks
Lee

no. The power supply cannot provide any more power to the motors, so even a larger motor wouldn’t work at full capacity.

1 Like