65mm 1.5kw spindle

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question, does anyone know what the max. revs are for the above spindle. It appears that it is set to 24000 with the inverter I have, would a “better” inverter spin it faster?

Hey Eugene,

just saying “65mm 1.5kw spindle” is not enough information. Spindles can have very different maximum speeds from 9,000 up to 60,000 rpm. There is a maximum speed for every spindle in its datasheet, I would not exceed it since it may be damaged.
Please do not loose your spindle’s datasheet.

But it is unlikely that spindles <$1000 run higher than 24,000 rpm.

Regarding VFD they have a maximum frequency in their datasheet.
Then you compute the max. rpm that your VFD will deliver this way:

SPINDLE_RPM = $MAX_VFD_FREQ × 2 × 60 / $SPINDLE_NUMBER_OF_POLES

Mostly it will be 400 Hertz × 2 × 60 / 2 poles = 24,000 rpm.

Please do not loose your VFD’s datasheet and the manual (VFDs are very complex).

Thanks,

2 Likes

Also - why would faster be better? I very rarely run my spindle at 20k or higher anyway - 24k has not been a limiting factor in anything I’ve needed to date.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response to my post, I was thinking that faster was better but your reply was very reassuring to me. In future I won’t worry about speed and hope to have a similar experience as you.

Many thanks

Eugene

Thanks for your reply, your mail was very reassuring to me I will now approach the subject in a totally new light.

Many thanks

Eugene

Hi again Michael,

Do you know how to connect a spindle to the 1F control box, the only explanation I can find refers to a breakout board but my 1F controller does not have one. Is it connected via L1 and or L2? If so do you know how?

Regards

Eugene

You have to buy the breakout board, it’s an optional accessory. You can buy them from Amazon or ebay vs buying it direct from 1F.

Hey Eugene,

2 Likes

Many thanks, that’s brilliant.

Has anyone used this spindle kit? Wondering how it went if so. Thanks!