Alternative Router Options for Onefinity Elite Foreman?

Hi Everyone,

I wanna order the Elite Foreman with an 80mm mount size. I’ve been researching different spindle options, comparing cheaper alternatives with more plug-and-play options like the pwncnc kit.

Adding such kits would cost around 17,000 CAD. I’m wondering if anyone has tried using regular spindles that can fit into the 80mm mount, instead of VFD-based spindles. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hey Oli,

A “spindle” usually means a compact, cylindric asynchronous induction motor. Such spindles forcibly need a VFD, because they are driven by three-phase electricity with a variable frequency (usually 100–600 Hz). A VFD is in principle an AC-to-DC-to-AC inverter which creates such current on the fly (see also differences between hand router and spindle).

Some VFDs, like the Omron MX2 / Hitachi WJ200, also include support for synchronous (permanent magnet) motor spindles like the DATRON Syncro spindles with which you can mill steel /very/ slowly with high touque, i.e. go down to 1000 or even 100 rpm.

There are also DC motors in a cylindric case, but you need a controller similar to a VFD anyway:

These DC motors can be called ‘spindles’ too and have their controller integrated:

Sycotec motor spindles → DC motors

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt and technical response. Let me clarify my question.

The suggested router for the Elite series is the ‘Makita RT0701C,’ designed to fit in a 65mm mount. I’m curious if there are any routers similar to the Makita (with manual speed control) available in the market that can fit in an 80mm mount.

Hey Oli,

the Makita hand trim router fits in a 65 mm mount. It will fit into a 80 mm spindle mount only with a 65 mm to 80 mm adapter ring.

There are routers very similar to the Makita but with real ER collets, which has many advantages. Look for “ER11 router” in this forum.

2 Likes

Get the MakerMade router. After burning up 3 Makitas (he last one only lasting minutes), I got one and have never looked back. Never gets hot (or even warm), and the collet is fantastic.

Mine sits in a 65mm adapter ring in a 80mm mount with no problems.
Pony

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hi Oli - welcome to the forum. I’m guessing you mistyped 17,000 instead of 1700?

As @Aiph5u stated, you can get the larger mount with the smaller router no issues. Gives a great upgrade path later. Or simple get the 65mm mounting and if you want a spindle later, get a 65mm version (or upgrade the mounting plate).

-Tom

1 Like