Another WiFi post but slightly different!

So I am having the same issue as many Internal WiFi not working.
Now I can’t run a cable and also using inline extenders will not work as its on a different circuit.
So I’m going down the external WiFi dongle route but I have one question when looking at the config of the controller (sudo nano etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.config) it shows country as US.
But I’m in the UK would I need to change country to GB and would it affect connecting to WiFi?

Any help much appreciated

Hey Gary,

Configuring Networking - Raspberry Pi Documentation

On the Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Raspberry Pi 4B, you will also need to set the country code, so that the 5GHz networking can choose the correct frequency bands. You can do this using the raspi-config application: select the ‘Localisation Options’ menu, then ‘Change Wi-Fi Country’. Alternatively, you can edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file and add the following. (Note: you need to replace ‘GB’ with the 2 letter ISO code of your country. See Wikipedia for a list of 2 letter ISO 3166-1 country codes.)

country=GB

Hi @Aiph5u
Thanks for this I will try it out I presume this has no change with in the 1F software

1 Like

The pi is a 3b and does not have 5ghz.

Hey,

Ah, okay. Then it has BCM43143 which has only 2.4 GHz WiFi.

However it may be advantageous to set the right country anyway because the channels in the 2.4 GHz range differ between North America and the rest of the world too.

You may able to use channels 12-13 which are not allowed in the USA.

See also Is it better to use channel 13 than channel 11 on 2.4GHz band

There may be however many other reasons why your WiFi connection does not work.

There are lots of reasons! Just trying to elimate them one by one thanks for help @Aiph5u

I have found the WI-FI in the controller to be very weak and intermittent. So much so, I decided not to use the WIFI but rather just use hardwired CAT5 (ethernet). It involved a bit of reconfiguring but was worth it. I had to run cables to the router and so on but it appears to be rock solid now. I looked it up on the Buildbotics site (they make the controller) and they admit that the built in wifi is weak and prone to electrical noise interference and they suggest to use a cabled connection. If an ethernet connection is not available, purchasing a wifi dongle would be your only other option. Frankly I am not impressed with the controller. Have fun

1 Like

Hi All
Right i have given up with WIFI, and during the black fridays deal got a good deal on a wifi extender with network cable out.
set it all up today and all was going fine, onefinity got IP address i could see the machine on my router but i cannot get to the front end.
I can SSH to it from my PC and i can ping my PC, Google, and my router. from my PC I can ping the 1F machine.
but when i go to the web page either using IP address or onefinity.local (and make sure its only HTTP) its just spins around and around.
this is the ifconfig from 1F

now the strange thing is that on the onefinity it shows the IPV6 address not the IPV4.

im fairly tech savy but i dont want to go poking around and disabling IPV6 if there is another solution.
so throwing it out there any help much appreciated.

also my ARP table on my PC did have multiple entries for the 1F so i have removed the incorrect entries and now its just the correct one remaining

I have similar issues…

I just upgraded to V1.3.1 and noticed that I have an IPv6 address.
How do I get to this address via my PC?
Can I tell the OneFinity to only used IPv4?

Rather than mess with the internal wifi, I took an easier route. I ordered this portable travel router from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5RCZQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I configured it in Client Mode and just hardwired it to my controller, I gave it a static IP on my network and it’s been flawless. It’s pretty small, will fit in the palm of your hand

2 Likes