Anyone with a big dust collector hook up that 4" (or greater) to the 1F?

That We The People is Bad ASS! Awesome Work!

-Alex

Thanks! I’m selling them locally at fairs and online :slight_smile:

5hp Clearvue. I’ve been trying to figure out an alternative. As I’d hate to run it for 4 hours on something big. There are plenty of 1hp wall hung I’d like to give a shot. Something quiet

2 Likes

If you can find a Jet 3/4hp wall hung they can be remarkably quiet. Looking at the Amazon reviews, it seems like a crap shoot as to whether you get a quiet and low vibration unit or a monster. Mine is on the floor, resting on a rubber mat and it really is quiet. While looking up the Jet, I was shocked to see the price has pretty much doubled from the $149 I paid in 2019.

While at Amazon looking at these things, I noticed a unit that gets lots of tags about “quiet.” Seems like a nice unit - 2 micron bag instead of the usual 30, and a steel impeller.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with your search.

Jim

1 Like

Guys
You need as much CFM as you can muster AND an air filter with at least 3 micron separation - 1 micron is better. Dust collector bags are dust PUMPS for the really small dust particles that are the harmful ones. Please read up on the hazards from breathing small dust particles - it’s bad.

I have a 2 HP delta that’s reasonably quiet (MUCH quieter than any of my three shop vacs). I have a Oneida dust separator that has a 5" inlet and a 6" outlet. It does a great job of separating most of the sawdust. I use 5" heavy guage HVAC metal pipe that reduces to 4" DWV PVC at each machine with limited flex hose (which has 4 times the static loss of plain pipe). I use 6" DWV PVC to my two 3 micron air filters. I put my fan up on the wall and used the old air filter housing to mount my two air filters, one on top and one on the bottom.

I upgraded my dust collection system two years ago from all 4" PVC and what a difference! The increased size in piping really cleans out my woodworking machines now compared to somewhat clean before bust small particle dust was still going everywhere - which again is the bad stuff. Especially for MDF.

Looks a little janky but works great.

Don’t know if this picture will work this way - let me know how to upload a picture if interested.

Just got my 1F so building my table and will have to run a new dust collection line to the machine. Will post again after I get it working.

3 Likes

I went with this and hooked it up to a Oneida V-3000 (figuring my lungs are worth the $) and ducting. {Edit} Night and day difference from the itty bitty 1F dustboot hooked up to either a DeWalt or Festool DC with hose!!!

As an aside on the Oneida…it sucks (ha ha). I pro’ly bought wayyy too much air movement, as when I only have two branches open, I get massive suction (in addition to the airflow)…I have 3 branches, and I usually keep them all open (but always have at least 2 open). It gets 99% of the big stuff (and since the inertia is less, pro’ly 100% of the nasty fines)…fyi sliding compound miter with Rousseau 5000 pro’ly 70%, Sawstop ICS with big overhead ~90%.

I have a 1.5HP Delta dust collector, running through an Oneida dust-deputy, and a 4" capable dust boot that I 3-d printed (on thingiverse and Etsy). I want to upgrade to a larger dust collector so I can run something else in the shop while the 1F is working - the V-3000 is on my short-list. Sounds like you have had good luck with yours!

I know people like their shop-vacs and the smaller dust boots - but I have had great luck with a 4" connection and a real dust collector.

Please see my reply under category Accessories- Dust collection. I did a lot of experimenting while waiting for my system. I couldn’t afford a large hepa filter on the Shop Fox so I framed it in 2 x 2s and enclosed it with window film. I then put a furnace filter in each side. It’s definitely keeping the mdf dust inside the box that the 2.5 micron bag did not catch

1 Like

I have a similar setup but framed in the dust collector with 2x4 studded walls and plywood and caulked up all the joints. The air returns to the shop through (2) 20x25x4" HEPA filters in the door to the enclosure.

1 Like

@m700 , what did you end up going with? I have the 5hp ClearVue as well and am wondering if it’s too much and if I should be looking at a Rocker Dust Right or something a little smaller.

There’s no way a 2 HP dust collector can pull 1500 CFM in the real world. Maybe with just the bare machine, with nothing connecting to the input port it, could pull something like that. As soon as you start adding ducting, angles, dust boots and, especially, flex hose, there is so much static pressure loss that the CFM drops significantly. Look at 400-500 CFM in a typical installation, which is still a lot.

1 Like

I am looking for an adapter as well… Does anyone have any luck?

Having issues with dust collection. I bought the 750 CFM Dust Right dust collector that has a 4" input. I have put a 4" “Y” to two 2 1/4" ports. I have a 2 1/4" hose connected from that to a suck-it dust boot. It barley collects any of the dust/chips. Looking for thoughts / ideas / suggestions. I hooked a shop vac up to it and it’s like night and day difference.

This is the unit that I have.

Dust Right 750 CFM Mobile Dust Collector - Rockler

Hey Pete,
Welcome to the forum! Could you post a picture of you dc setup?
Cheers

It is not currently connected. Have switched to a shop vac for the moment.

Do you have anything connected to the other 2 1/4" port on the Y? If not, most of the airflow will be through the port with very low static pressure (the open one) and hardly any through the port with very high static pressure (the one with the long length of flexible 2 1/4" hose).

Have a look at 4” dust boots and then ditch the reducers and wye. The reducing takes its toll. Take advantage of the full 4”. This one has a lot of good reviews. I bought it but don’t have my 1F yet to fully test it. Well designed.

2 Likes