Dust extractor for cnc

Can anyone give me any advise on what kind of dust extractor to get that can run most of the day for my elite foreman ,modt say you can only run for 2 hours ,thank you all kind regards martyn

We recommend (and use internally) the Fein Turbo 1 https://amzn.to/3trwZoF

1 Like

Same. It’s very quiet!

Just looked they discontinued

???
Fein Turbo I Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner with Dust Extractor and Attachment Set - 5.8 Gallon, 151 CFM Suction Capacity, 98 PSI Static Water Lift - 92035060090 - Amazon.com

Right that’s why ,I’ll have to order from America because its asking me to change from uk amazon to us amazon

Surprising as it’s from a German company.

I do not think the solution to this answer is right: for shopvacs the same rule applies as for spindle routers. If the motor is brushed there is a chance of the motor burning.

Even Festo shopvacs do have brushed motors. I could not find out if the Fein has a brushless motor in my online search.

I recommend the Nilfisk Attix 50 (has a brushless motor). There are different versions, some have adjustable motor speeds.

It is also very quiet at 59db, compared to the Fein turbo at 66.

The Nilfisk attix 50 has 12 gallon capaticy, double of the Fein turbo with 5.8 gallon.

Yes it cost a bit more, but it should not catch fire ever, so possibly significantly cheaper in the long run.

I paired mine with the Oneida Cyclone seperator. So I have three filters, the cyclone for shavings, the bag for dust and the hepa filter for the finest particles, I run my CNC several times a week, but changing the dust bag is a very rare necessity.

Hey all,

dust collection systems like the Harbour freight 2 hp (low end) or the Felder AF 22 (high end) use induction motors that have no carbon brushes, have a high efficiency and run slow and quiet. Even when they are offered for single-phase AC supply, they have induction motors, in this case the induction motor is a capacitor start induction motor.

Shop vacuum cleaners use universal motors with their loud, sparkling carbon-brush commutators, which also often run on much higher speeds than a dust collection system. And they need carbon brushes to be replaced regularly.

However, there was reported that with the use of shop vacs all dust was collected successfully with a Dust Deputy and 70 mm (2½″) hoses here and here

I emailed festool when setting up. They said their vacuums are rated to run 4-6 hours. I’m not sure if they meant continuously.l but that was their answer. So as long as you’re not doing longer carves they should be ok I guess.

My vacuum hose is only 27mm version and kept getting obstructed from larger chips. The vacuum would overheat and shut down. Options were to get a bigger hose and adapt it to my vac or use my existing dust collection system.

I went with my 4” dust collection and it’s miles ahead than my vacuum. Personally I recommend using the tool that is specifically designed for the task at hand.

Just my experience.

1 Like

I dont find the Fein shop vac to be loud at all.

Hey Michael,

yes some are not loud, because of the housing and the filters. It’s the type of motor that is loud (like the router is louder than a spindle), not forcibly the shop vac as a whole.

Thanks guys for all the replies, looking at the nilfisk attix 50 , there is a few different ones ie the attic 50-01 PC/ attic 50-21 PC EC witch is double the price as the first one ,won’t be on the cnc all day long because I’m just starting so don’t no if it would be better or not to get the attic 50-01 PC witch is £501.34 just don’t want to get the wrong one sorry to burden you guys with this just don’t want to waste money in these hard times . Thanks again for all your advice it is much appreciated, thanks martyn

Hey Michael,

just had a look at the manual of my shop vac: My Festool CTM MIDI I is rated with 70,00 dB(A). It’s the same that Lee Turnbull @TDE uses as can be seen here.

The Nilfisk website does explain little. I ordered the cheapest Nilfisk I could get. It has a simple on and off switch.
If you do not use it extremely heavily you should be fine. I spend just over $600.
A friend of mine had the adjustable motor speed which was about $900.
I know the Festool and Fein shopvacs very well.
The Fein is nearly double as loud as the Nilfisk and probably has brushed motors.
The Festool is nearly three times as loud and has brushed motors.
Any regular dust extractor will fill up your workshop with fine dust.
For me the Nilfisk attix 50 is by far the best option.

I started with a Makita router and a cheap shopvac. After a friend with a CNC told me about his shop and house catching fire (firefighters saved him) I upgraded to spindle and Nilfisk shopvac.

1 Like

Wow ,I’m glad he was saved it makes you think that it has got to be taken seriously and that’s why I want to get the right stuff ,I’ve got fire extinguisher in the shed and I’ve got the makita router for now but goin to use on small projects till I’m used the machine then I’ll get a spindle motor .thanks for advice it means a lot

Hey Tom,

sorry to disappoint you, but it would have been very surprising if it had a brushless motor or an induction motor. You already can tell this by the fact that it has a speed regulator. If it was an induction motor, to have speed regulation, it would need a VFD internally which would make the device extremely expensive because it would need, at least internally, three-phase electricity, and if it was a capacitor start induction motor, such motors cannot have speed regulation. So of course, and is to expect, this is a universal motor with carbon brushes:

Hey Tom,

Not every universal motor comes with the danger of burning and set your workshop in fire. If this was the case, such motors would not be ubiquitous but forbidden. A universal motor can start to burn if you overload it so that it is slowed down ((see also difference router/spindle) because then it will get too hot and malfunction (it’s also written in Makita manual). That is surely not to expect to happen with a shop vac. But it will be VERY CERTAINLY the case if you use a hand trim router like the Makita RT0701C or RT0702C that is designed for short-time, hand-held usage and you mount it into a CNC and run it for hours, especially with a bit diameter of more than 1/2" (like those big 1½" surfacing bits). That were the conditions when the Makita started to burn which was reported many times in this forum.

By the way, the 43 mm “Euro” mount milling motors for CNCs that are common in Europe and that I consider to be the best milling motor solution for hobbyists and semiprofessionals because they need no VFD are universal motors with carbon brushes too. But I NEVER heard of one of them starting to burn. That is because they are not a Makita hand trim router that is designed for short, hand-held usage, but dedicated milling motors for use in a CNC for 24/7.

1 Like

I am just stating what Nilfisk customer service told me in an email about the motor.

Hey Tom,

they told you it was a brushless motor??

I read the manual and the datasheet and they talk of “silent”. I also saw they require you to bring the shop vac to their service once a year. For what would they want that, if not to change the carbon brushes?