Building extended cable for drag chain

Has anyone that made their own Z cable for a drag chain setup have the pin direction or a schematic (or similar info) so I can understand how to build the crossover needed? I want to keep my original Z cable for an emergency and I’m building long, bulletproof cables to go through my drag chain set up (Route One Design/Greg’s setup). Already have my Molex and Amp connectors just need to understand how to wire it.

Thanks!
Texasrpbrock

I believe the cross-over occurs between the Molex connector that plugs into the Z motor, and where it terminates in the plastic housing on the side of the X rail. You can do a basic continuity check there (ohm/voltmeter) to determine which pins are cross.

Sorry for the (teach to fish) explanation, not at my machine right now, but I can go check if you don’t have the means to test yourself.

(update: checked)

The bottom two wires get swapped from one end to the other.

| 1 | 2 |
|—±---|
| 3 | 4 |

would end up as this on the other side:

| 1 | 2 |
|—±---|
| 4 | 3 |

(pardon the ascii art)

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I wanted. Thanks!!! I like fishing!

FYI - as a bonus answer, for your new wire, it doesn’t matter which pair (top) or (bottom) you swap, as it’ll result in the same thing, and simply reverses the direction of the motor. :slight_smile: (by swapping any pair of coil wires, it reverses the direction of a stepper motor)

1 Like

THANK YOU WOLF!!! Much appreciated!!! WooHoo!!! Things are looking up! Have a great week sir!!