Cable Length Question

New member here with first question. I have a Journeyman incoming in the next few weeks and am starting the table build. I have built a 4.25 thick torsion box which I am planning on using either as the top or the base. If I use it as the top I will need to run the wires that extra 4-1/2 inches as I want to mount the controller on the underside of the edge of the top. I heard that they don’t give you too much extra wire.
I have some Sketchup models but don’t know how to post pics here.
Thanks for any help!

1 Like

If the concern is the X and Z stepper motor cables there is enough room for you to mount the controller to the underside of the table this is how I had mine when using the Onefinity Buildbotics controller. It will need to be near the middle of the table (front back/Y axis direction) or at least the end of the controller with the connectors on it will need to be towards the center. The main disadvantage to this setup is the e-stop button is now under your table and more out of reach/out of mind should you need it in a panic.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Derek. Most tables are only 3/4" thick, which means the controller box is pretty much right there where it goes through the hole. I have a choice of using my 4" thick torsion box for the table top which means an extra 4" of cable needed.
I can also use the torsion box as the base for the casters and support a standard 3/4" top by using a series of panels to connect the two. I just don’t know how much extra cable they supply.

Hopefully this picture gives you some additional detail on the cable length:

This is from the thread:

1 Like

Thanks Derek, that helps a lot… I actually bought Jays plans and am reconfiguring them to something I can build without a cnc to make the parts. I’m basing my design closer to his initial design with the torsion box on the bottom.

I have a second design with the torsion box on top a simple wood frame and this is the one that I was worried about wire length. From the looks of Jays picture, I should be fine.
However, your comment about having the box on top and quicker to access in panic mode got me thinking that maybe that would be a wiser move for me, as I’m an absolute beginner. My torsion top size is large enough, so I think that is the way to go for now.

I noticed in one of your other comments that you use the spaces in the torsion grid for storage. Can you safely cut openings in the sides without compromising the box integrity? Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

Hey Jimmy, hey Derek @WaywardWoodworker,

Jimmy, I think the accessibility of the emergency stop button is important however noone forces you to have your estop button on the controller case. Usually it is positioned externally in a little box so that you can best reach it during machine operation.

You should also know that the big red button on the buildbotics-based TOS Onefinity contoller is not connected in a way that it triggers the estopped mode of the controller! (at least not the last time I had a look). As Onefinity confirmed here, it just cuts the power from the Raspi and AVR Controller board, thereby also the stepper motors, but leaves the router and spindle running! Because the electromagnetic detent on all steppers is gone then, hitting that red button can cause the Z axis to move downwards with gravity, and with running router or spindle, can make a nice hole into your table top (or into your hand if it happens to be in between). Therefore when making use of an easily accessible emergency stop button in its own small external box, it is better to wire it to the “estop” pin 23 of the 25-pin I/O port of the controller to benefit of the buildbotics-based Onefinity Controller’s Estopped mode which ensures that the router (via relay on pin 15) and the spindle (via STOP command) are also stopped automatically when the red button is pressed. See here for details and links.