Ultimate OF X-50 Table Build (From Jay Bates)

If you do not subscribe to Jay Bates newsletter from https://jayscustomcreations.com/ he does some pretty amazing stuff.

He just shared his Ultimate Table Build, he did for a buddy for his X-50. Has some very cool features. The video addresses both the build, rationale for why things were done that way, how you can get all the files. etc. Another GREAT overview and project from Jay.

Enjoy!
-Alex

5 Likes

A thing of beauty.

Im still not won over by threaded nuts for work holding but thats just a preference.

Ive Bookmarked for future reference. Thank you for sharing

Edit: is there such a thing as “table envy” :blush:

5 Likes

Its really cool how he did them, they are not in the wasteboard they are actually in the table so you never have to change them out when you swap the board. Its a long video but very well executed and explained.

Yes there is such a thing as Table Envy. lol

-Alex

1 Like

Hey Andy, hey Alex, hey all,

I have table envy all the time :slight_smile:

Especially since I saw Robert’s table, because when I sit in the small office in my workshop and look at my lumber yard on the opposite wall, I always stare at 3 pieces of 3 meter long 100 x 100 mm squared lumber (= 3 pc. 4" x 4" x 10 ft.!)

2 Likes

Alex - the link to Jay’s website does not seem to be working for me (not sure why – I get a 404). Here’s a good link: https://jayscustomcreations.com

Thanks!!! I took it from my email so it may have had coding specific in it. Thanks for letting me know, here is the direct link to this article and build:

I have to say after watching the whole hour and a half I am very impressed. Sure there are a few things I’m going to tweak but so far I think this is the Elite Table I’m going with.

-Alex

2 Likes

I am really liking the vertical holding solution. trying to figure out how i can incorporate on my flip table.

3 Likes

Its awesome he gives you all the Machine Files for the OF to setup and run end joinery with the plans as well. That makes repeat actions very easy and super repeatable.

-Alex

1 Like

Hey Alex, hey all,

only had a quick look at the video and am surprised that here a table is shown that is literally just as big as the rectangle formed by the machine’s feet, not one millimeter more. I would at once ask, would you really build a table that has no space reserved around the machine at all? For dust boot overhang (front and rear), for serious cable management (drag chain width), the protruding length of the stepper motors (and possibly longer specimens, if upgrading to closed-loop steppers or servos later) on the right and on the rear, not even for the protruding cable connectors on front and side, and first of all, for an enclosure (e.g. like this one)?

2 Likes

Agreed, I used a full 4x8 sheet.

2 Likes

I used full sheets on mine, as well. I did just order this cart, though. One of the main things I’ve been wanting to address is vertical work holding for sliding dovetails that I do for boxes every few weeks. I have a little Piranha Fx that allows boards to overhang the front of the bed, so I’ve kept it in place for pretty much that reason alone. We also just put our house up for sale and are looking for places where I can use/build a decent workshop instead of moving my wife’s car out of the garage each time. So, a little bit of helping the cause for Jay in the present and a lot of expansion plans for the near future.

1 Like

I’m about 30 minutes into it, so far. I liked it enough that I bought the plans. It will be a couple months before I can get to building it (our house went up for sale yesterday).

My answer would be YES, my current table does not have a bunch of extra bench space. These things are large as you know, not many people have extra floor space to make it bigger. I read almost every thread on the forum and I can absolutely say that a HUGE theme is “I have limited space”.

As for dust collection, (I am not defending Jay at all) but he discloses if you watch the video in detail, that is he built if for his neighbor and did not have his vacuum solution over with the CNC so he did not add any options but it can certainly be added.

Is this perfect NO, is it pretty awesome… In my opinion YES.

-Alex

3 Likes

Hey Alex,

I also often think of limited space and admire people who accomodate with it, but I would think that the steppers protrude into two directions anyway, and the cable connectors into the two other directions, so there never can be the next piece of workshop furniture or the wall at that table ends anyway. I don’t think if you add the width of these protruding parts there will be really space added. Also I think those protruding parts need a little protection.

I had noticed that, he stresses the importance of dust collection (which I absolutely agree with). I just mentioned dust boot overhang as things that protrude the machine too.

1 Like

The build is nice and the vertical part is pretty cool. What I found the best out of the entire build was the set work space (Machine File) as he calls it. Eliminating the need to zero the x/y axis. Just zero the z and off you go all day every day. That is what I would want to get to using. I know that is vetric thing but dang it would make things easier. Like 2-sided carves.

2 Likes

Is stall homing by itself accurate enough for the vertical joinery? I would use a touch probe to locate the corner of the work piece and not chance it. Jay has a CNC with limit switches which are more accurate for repeatable homing.

1 Like

I’ve found the homing to be more accurately repeatable after adding the stops like shown in this thread Stops for Homing

I’ve not tested how accurate it actually is but I believe it’s better than just using the bearings as stops.

1 Like

Hey SkyKam, hey all,

the insufficient accuracy of stall homing is irrelevant if you use a touch probe everytime and subsequently only rely on the workpiece coordinates. And reducing the use of the touch probe to only once per bootup period because you have a fixed jig saves time (as long you can ensure accurate positioning and clamping of the workpiece at the jig). Retrofitting inductive proximity sensors as limit switches brings accuracy if you want to rely on the absolute machine coordinates, without probing.

1 Like