Can the jtech laser really cut through 3mm plywood

Thats very handy to know, i assumed the trial had everything in it, that explains a lot, many thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, hopefully i can help you with something one day :smiley:

The Carveco software has both laser tool paths and will do 3d files. There is also no size limitations either as far as I know.

Thanks Jdog, ive not looked at Carveco, js it something you would recommend?

Carveco has been really easy to learn and use for me.

Thankyou, i will compare it to what i know of vcarve

I have a Opt Lasers 6W laser and by using air-assist at around 0.5 bar i can cut through hard plywood like birch in 5-7 passes with very clean cuts (1000mm/min speed) depending on what lens i use. 5 passes with uSpot lens and 7 passes with G7 lens.

You can see some wood work made with Opt Lasers 6W laser from eg. at www.instagram.com/cncpaja

By air assist i mean a 1-2mm pressurized nozzle that blows air downwards. It makes the cutting much more effective by blowing the smoke away. Without air assist the smoke intercepts very hard the laser and thus reduces the cutting efficiency.

And you should just make sure not to use any exterrior plywoods since they use black glue which prevents cutting even with co2 lasers. Always use interrior plywood which uses white or transparent glue this is easier to cut through. ( i dont know why the glue color is the issue and i think thats not the issue but the black glue is just tougher than the interiorply glue)

you can find the laser from here if you are interested in it.

and here is the air-assist

2 Likes

Thankyou Peter, really appreciate you taking the time to put all that together, id not heard of them before but i now need to do some research into the air nozzle especially as you say it can cut though hard plywood, are you using this with a Onefinity?

Hi,

Im not using it with onefinity but Opt Lasers has an onefinity adapter to connect the laser.

Based in Poland, this is attractive for European 1Fers such as myself. Less import fees, easier shipping…

1 Like

Didnt see the 1F adaptor, will have another look

There’s a mounting plate at €38:

Wiring at €4:

Or two kits, the most comprehensive one, with the magnetic docking station and controller, is at €773 + around €15 shipping (to Belgium):

1 Like

Wow, didnt realize they did an entire kit for the 1F, mind you by the time i priced up the 1F kit + air assist +uspot lens i then realised its +vat an an no doubt import duty, impressive kit though, that can clearly do everything i want, i will contact them to try an get a total all in price, i guess the main difference from the 1F laser is this kit has all the optional extras available that make it truly capable of cutting…

After some communication with the manufacturer, today I have decided to byte the bullet and I have ordered myself an Opt Laser kit.

The shipping costs and more local deliveries where key decision factors. So is the all-aluminium built and the magnetic mount. I took advantage of the ongoing summer sale to add the (free) air assist nozzle…

I will report on my findings in the forum, after I have received the laser.

1 Like

Free air assist nozzle, isnt that about £150, thats an impressive deal, whats the delivery time/lead time, weeks - months?

Ive just messaged Opt ref their summer promotion as i cant see it on their site, thats a massive saving, if its still on i may have to join you as i really would like the option to genuinely cut any 3mm ply,

Ok, found the offer on the homepage, and the voucher code, is anything needed in addition to the onefinity kit, i assume the blue goggles are for the uspot lens?

I have not received mine yet, I only ordered yesterday :slight_smile:
If it’s any help, I ordered the Onefinity kit, the air nozzle, the µSpot lens, a second safety glass (so I can do creative activities with my daughter), Lightburn and the longer cable (anticipating that cable management will be a problem with the 1F…).

The kit includes safety glasses at OD7, which as I understand is safer than the OD5 googles. I am definitively no laser expert (this will be my first laser) but I don’t think the lens changes the wavelength of the laser. Only the diameter of the spot.

wow, thats a serious kit, i will probably get the uspot lens at a later date, do you have a rough idea of arrival date, ie is it days or weeks (looks like a very capable kit)

The Onefinity kit seems very capable as is, the air nozzle was to take advantage of the summer sales… (free, so no-brainer), the long cable is less than €5. And I know that my daughter will want to come see the laser so the extra safety glasses is justified.
Although she is learning Fusion 360, she is struggling at times. I hope Lightburn will be more approachable to her.

I debated long and hard whether to get the µSpot now or decide to purchase it later. It’s a bit of a luxury, I admit, but so is the 1F…

I ordered yesterday (Sunday) and I have just received (this minute) the shipment notice and the license for Lightburn. FedEx plans to deliver on Wednesday… so it’s days.

I will report once I had a chance to play with the setup. Probably after the week-end.

Thats very impressive, can i ask where you are located, im in the UK, struggling to see anything could get here in a few days… (ps you’ve made the right decision to get it all at the same time - im jut jealous) :smiley: