Cat5 or 6 or 7 or 8

I need to run 150’ of Ethernet cable to my shop for this project.
Which cat level should I run?

5 or 5e is more than adequate for the rpi needs. Unless you need the link for a lot more I don’t see why you would need more. Maybe shielded if you are running near electrical or fluorescent lighting.

Cat5 is more than enough, you are transferring relatively small files and Cat5 can handle 100Mb/Sec and if you go with Cat5e it can handle 1,000Mb/Sec which both is wayyyyy more than you need.

-Alex

1 Like

From my understanding the higher categories support higher speeds (Gbps) and frequencies (Mhz). I believe the suggested max runs up to Cat 7 are 100m for Gbps speeds. If you are making your own connections, using the standard Cat 5(e) connectors are much less finicky than the Cat 6 with those little cable separator inserts. I always use shielded as it allows me to run/rerun my cable anywhere I want.

Thank you all, I am running about 150’. It will be inside Stella conduit and next to steel building and near
led lights . It sounds like it is a good idea to go to a shielded version for interference but as for band width not a big difference.

Never hurts to have a little shielding (and its not that much more expensive) and 150ft is no problem, you can run Cat5e for 1,000ft before you need a booster.

-Alex

1 Like

One other area of consideration is whether you’re using shielded or non-shielded runs. In a shop environment, depending on other machines and high-power equipment, line placement etc. You might consider running shielded CAT(x).

In a data-center there are different ratings depending on where the cable runs (in trays, open drops, etc) so this is a consideration as well whether you’re running in-wall, open ceiling, conduit, etc.

I’ve personally wired most of my house with CAT6a shielded 23awg. It’s stout but all internal or channel runs (crawl space). Overkill in some areas, but glad I have it in others, especially those runs near other high power equipment.

Cat 5e is fine you wont have much interference just don’t rap it around a vfd :wink: and you be good. The led lights wont affect it. As for shielded cable you wont need it. It can cost more for shielded cable, shielded connectors and the tool for it and you would need a switch that was shielded and ground all cost $$
I am a Inside JW. :grinning:

Is it about thing if I run Cat 7 or does that cause other issues

To put my 2 pence worth in (or cents) cat5e will be fine I would not run it over 100m as you can get packet loss. shield cat5e is hardly any difference in cost cable or connectors (in the UK) just don’t run in parallel with power cable. As previous poster said cat6 gets thicker and connectors get trickier, and you won’t notice any difference

Good luck!

I glad you said something about not running parallel with power lines that was my plan to zip tie it to my conduit that runs round my shop about 6” from the ceiling. The lines carry 110 and 220 no more than 60 amps at one time

While we are talking about shielding should I use shielded power line to my RFD. 220 volt 1500 watt spindle

I’m not a networker but I do work in IT and have always been told best practice was not to run power and network together I’m sure we might be all over thinking it but if you can avoided then don’t risk it :+1:

Good call I will figure out another way to route the lines as I look around it’s going to be impossible to stay away more than 6 to 10” from power or lcd tube lighting I wonder what an acceptable distance is?
after some reading,if the ethernet line is shielded and gounded and,or the AC lines are in metalic conduit.they can be within 2"with out 8"to 16"

Another $.02 here.
You did not say how or where the cable would be run to the shop.
If it is to buried, and If you live in an area that gets thunderstorms like we do, I would not run copper in the ground.
My shop is about 700 feet from the house and I just bought some wireless bridges from ubiquiti (nano locos if I remember right), you will want a pair, for ~$49 each.
Without even mounting the unit in the house side, I am getting around 200mbps which is plenty for my shop.

you just don’t want it in parallel for a long distance or anything that draws a lot of current most power it’s closely balanced or should be balanced where it does not give off much interference unless you have a device like a VFD did puts off massive interference If the conduit that you’re going to zip tied to his metallic you will be fine if it is PVC you might want to reroute it if it’s romex or mc cable it cannot touch It also if you have a shielded cable and do not have the proper connector and the proper switch to properly grounded would do more harm than good the shield picks up magnetic interfere if it does not have a proper way to drain the magnetic interference that gets induced into the cable most switches are not design for shielded Cable the ones that are tend to be a more expensiveMost of the time if there The potential for interference it would be ran metallic conduit but I don’t think you’re going to have that much interference it is in a shop most light fixtures are made of metal the ballast is enclosed in metal most of the wires are enclosed in metal if you plan on zip tying the cat five to the light bulb itself you have a problem I know you’re not gonna do that if it’s LED the driver is encased in metal outside of that you’re fine most fixturesNowadays are controlled my cat five or CAT6 they hooked directly into the light fixture

The power conduits are steel and fully bonded. The Ethernet cable is shielded. They will run parallel for about 70’in shop. The total length is 150’ it will be underground in a steel conduit for about 16’ and then the balance in the house for another 45’. The 45’ in house does not have conduit just standard Romeo the Ethernet cable is shielded still of course. As for installing ends I am buying a cable 150’ long with ends already installed. Wish me luck

Those runs inside the structures should be fine.
The underground run would be my only concern, but we get thunderstorms and have seen a lot of equipment fried through Ethernet cables.

If you do get thunderstorms, you may want to look into Ethernet grounds or Ethernet surge protectors.

Good luck

Great point. I will look into those
Thank you
Dave

David - it totally depends on what speed your connection is. That said, the RPI is 1G, so Cat 5E is sufficient (cat 6 is better). If you are seriously thinking about Cat 7 or 8, just run fiber - you will be future proofed and likely have better reliability.

-Tom