CNC do unplanned cuts

My CNC has done random cuts and on the advise of One Inifinity I completely separated the router and vacuuming from the CNC. The CNC is on a completely separate 20 amp circuit from the router and vacuum. The circuits are on separate sides of the garage. I been trying to make some trays from purchased file that I have used in the pass. These file consist of several different tool paths. The first is a pocket and it cut this in steps rather that a smooth side. Deleted the tool paths several time, re calculated same results. Tried a completely different file with just two tool paths, a VCarve and a profile. VCarve went as designed profile started to cut deep into the wood. It cut .5 should have been .125. Again deleted tool path re calculated with the same results. I need this project so I replaced the bit with one that could take such an aggressive cut, reset the Z and it started to cut .125 as designed. I did not do a recalculation just changed the bit and the Z. I have two version of VCarve on my desktop, version 12 and the previous one. I deleted the older version and removed all tools from the tool data base. In version 12. Than reentered the tools I use most. I needed a simple project for a friend with just a pocket and a profile cut out. It did that fine. So thinking the issue was resolved. Loaded back the file that was causing me issues and recalculated all tool paths. The profile and VCarve work perfectly. The next tool path was some stripes that were to be .1 inch deep and installed the new bit reset Z and it cut through the material into my spoiler board. At this point I have turned 5 nice pieces of Mahogany into fire wood. The only thing I can think of is my thumb drive or the monitor. HELP!

Can you provide the following details…

1. CNC/controller model
  2. Which post processor
  3. a description of your workflow (steps you follow when setting up for machining, tool changes, etc…)
1 Like

Can you also describe what best practices you’ve done to prevent emi issues?

1 Like

How do I find the CNC controller model? And how to find the post processor? Work flow I have been using ? I have used a few files I bought from ETSY. I have used them several times with no problems. On the one that really confused me, I selected a VCarve tool path calculated it and than a profile tool path to cut it out, calculated it and saved both to a thumb drive. The VCarve went perfect and the profile went immediately to a depth of .5. Should be .125. Deleted the tool paths and recalculated and it did the same. Replaced the bit with one that could take an aggressive cut, reset Z and it started to cut at .125. Exactly like it should. To date my EMI has be to have the CNC on one circuit and the router and vacuum on a different circuit, which is on the opposite side of the garage. I sue an heavy duty extension to connect the router and vacuum. But this issue has happen even if I don’t use the vacuum. I also have wrapped the dust collector hose in copper wire and connected it to ground. Today I just ordered ferrite rings and more copper wire. I will add ferrite rings to the stepper motors and try to ground all of the rails. Like I said I just use version 12 of VCarve and have deleted all tool in the data base and just re added a few I use. Getting very frustrated. So any help is appreciated. If you want to talk call me at (281) 217-8451. I will unblock my phone. I am wanting to make something for the guy across the street who is in the Air Force but worried I will destroy the wood he gave me.

Tell how to find the information you require.

Thank Frank Rossi

Does this help?

1 Like

Hey Frank,

yes this does help. You are using the buildbotics-derived Onefinity CNC Controller on the Original or the PRO Series. Firmware Version 1.0.9 is known to be a stable version.

The problem with EMI can affect all models of all series, since they all have non-shielded cables and the assembly manual says nothing about the urgent need to ground the chassis and all moving parts of your machine.

The copper on your dust collection hose helps nothing if the hose is made of plastic.

1 Like

I have a different machine and controller, but for workflow I mean things like…

Software:

1. define setup in CAM (I use Fusion), things like where will my WCS origin be (I always use top/front/left of stock), what WCS offset (I always use G56 for my simpler machining jobs), what PP - post processor (I mainly use the latest Fusion PP made for Masso), I always work in metric (mm), etc…

2. after loading and confirming the correct gcode I make sure to be in G56

3. set the correct XYZ zero for the particular toolpath (once probed with correct tool)
    4)…

The machine:

1. home machine
  2. make sure I am in G56
  3. make sure the correct tool is in
  4. probe for XYZ zero at the correct origin location chosen in the CAM setup
    5)…

Note that I have an ATC spindle and setup, but I tried to share things most of us do regardless of our setup. Also, because there are so many ways to make an error (even without considering electrical and/or physical issues that may occur), I triple check everything before cycle start.

1 Like

I lot to read and understand. I ordered Ferrite rings and will install the on all stepper motors. I ordered 16 gauge copper wire and will ground all of the frames to the ground at my plug. I am using VCarve version 12. I have a friend that has a custom door shop and has a commercial CNC ti make arches and most anything. His cousin is a IT guys but help with CNC a few days a week. I also go and help and know to double check all that I can. I am sure it is a glitch in the machine like EMI. Before I do another project I will ground everything and install Ferrite rings.

1 Like

Hey Frank,

1 Like

So if I put Ferrite Rings on the three stepper motors and add ground wires to all of the frames plus have the router and my shop vacuum of separate circuit will that fix the issue? If this CNC is so sensitive to EMI why does it not come grounded and Ferrite Rings on all the wires?

Before I do the carve for neighbor I going to try the file that has caused the current issue first.

Thank for your help.

Hey Frank,

EMI can have so many causes. It is both emitted and received. The most important thing would be to make sure if you use a spindle, that you have the spindle motor cable shielded and terminated properly, like described here:

…and that your VFD is enclosed in a grounded VFD control cabinet, like described here. The VFD and the spindle cable can be a major source for EMI. That is because in contrast to the mains power from your wall, the current that comes out of a VFD and drives the spindle through the spindle cable is by no means consisting of nice sine waves. Because of the switching nature of the VFD and the use of internal high carrier frequencies, the current for the spindle is very “dirty”, which means, it looks rather like aggressive square waves. But the carbon brush commutators of a hand router like the Makita RT070x emits a lot of EMI, too, both through the cable and mainly over the air because of the sparks, and there is no possibility to shield them, except in special motors for explosive environments. But rather you would use a spindle in the industry, which is an induction motor, which has no carbon-brush commutators at all, and no coils on the rotor, only on the stator. But with spindle/VFD, the EMI comes from the “dirty” switched power they produce. So anyway such machines are heavy sources of EMI, and usually you shield and ground everything the best possible.

On the other hand, EMI is received on any cable and can lead to deterioration of signals, which means it can make errors in the machine operation. Therefore, on a CNC machine, all cables should be shielded and grounded. Obviously this is not the case on the Onefinity, and yet the Onefinity manufacturer did not change that. But I think it would be the most important countermeasure against the known EMI problems. Therefore I provided you with a link in my previous post for replacing the stepper cables by cables that are shielded and grounded. This is the first thing I would try, besides grounding the machine, and using a shielded spindle cable and a grounded VFD cabinet.

Finally you still have the unreliable Amphenol/Molex connectors. They are not made for sockets on the outside of a device, but only for internal use, so they are wrong here. They tolerate neither permanent movement nor to be often re-connected. They are known from the internal ATX power supply in computers, where you usually plug them into the board exactly once and you never touch them again. In the industry, power connectors on CNC machines have gold-plated contacts and reliable strain relief (you could try to retrofit strain relief on the moving X axis to the older Onefinity and replace the curly Z cable, that can break internally), but these Molex/Amphenol connectors only have a thin tin plating and only a small one-per-contact strain relief. Once the tin plating is removed by frequent re-connecting them and the copper of the contacts is exposed to air, the corrosion comes even faster, making bad contacts. But replacing them is not an easy thing, as described here:

That is a good question, but it’s not me who can answer this. You got to ask the Onefinity manufacturer.

That is really understandable!

I would not put the machine in stock configuration into production, since I know what to alter on the machine first. I however knew that when I bought the machine. I plan to make my modifications first. Wood is much too expensive to be wasted.

1 Like

Thanks again. I am using a router and it has a EMI collet

I don’t think it’s your CAM file, it should cut 1/8 depth easily.
I had similar problems on my 1F X50 Journeyman. I have the original Z-16 slider and I’ve found that if you lower the Z max rate and acceleration it will help to prevent step losses when the bit plunges. Also, setting the bit plunge rate in VCarve helps. If you have the Z-20 slider, it’s supposed to be able to use a higher rate than the Z-16, not sure of that since I haven’t upgraded mine yet.
If your problem is electrical it would affect X & Y axis too.
Make a test file and some scrap wood to experiment with to find rates that don’t cause progressively deeper cuts.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

I deleted all tools in the tool data base. Entered those tools I use most often and entered there feeds and speeds. A friend said there is an SD card inside the controller that can be re flashed? Looking for that. Plan to ground everything