Configuring a custom VFD and spindle

Hi Bryan, did you manage to do this?

Just hunted through the forum and found the pp with the pause option. Cheers.

Hi,
Has anyone ever used a FULING VFD with Onefinity controller that could share the wiring, setting and experience?

Hi Mauro, did you get your Fuling inverter running, I have the addresses required.
Sid

Does anybody have the modbus addresses for a H100/V70 inverter? I have figured out a config that runs on the machine but it shows errors even though it works :slight_smile:

Hey Sid,

you can use the ModBus address you like, but you got to make sure that it’s the same address that you set on the VFD and on the Onefinity CNC controller.

Further Reading

Further Reading

• The H100/V70 VFD already had an appearance in this forum here and here.

(easy to find by searching for

If you get an error on the VFD, you got to look up what the error means in the VFD manual.

If you get a timeout error on the Tool Configuration Tab of the Onefinity, that means for the Onefinity, there is nothing detected at the pins 13 and 14 on the DB-25 I/O port. Make sure you have the same ModBus settings on the VFD and on the Onefinity Controller. If you have a termination resistor DIP switch on your VFD, you got to switch it on. Note that if you have only timeouts, this may also be this issue.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanx for responding Aiph5u, Im probable using the wrong terminology, im looking for the freq- set, freq-read, forward-write, … addresses for a custom spindle

Hey Sid,

do you mean settings inside the VFD, in order to suit your spindle?

If so, this should be found in your spindle manual.

EDIT: Do you mean the settings in 8.Creating a Custom VFD Program?

If so, you should not need this, since under ‘tool-type’ in Onefinity CNC Controller’s Tool Configuration Tab, you should be able select “V70”. Did you try it with this?

EDIT: I don’t run the Onefinity CNC controller, however by looking at the source code of the Onefinity Firmware 1.0.9 (unlike Buildbotics Firmware v0.4.14 or higher), it seems that the ‘V70’ VFD is not offered under ‘tool-type’, can you confirm this?

At least the ‘V70’ entry is not found in Onefinity’s Firmware file src/resources/config-template.json nor in the file src/pug/templates/tool-view.pug. However it is well present in the source:

# 1.0.9/onefinity-firmware-master/src/avr/src/vfd_spindle.c

const vfd_reg_t v70_regs[] PROGMEM = {
  {REG_MAX_FREQ_READ, 0x0005, 0}, // Maximum operating frequency
  {REG_FREQ_SET,      0x0201, 0}, // Set frequency in 0.1Hz
  {REG_STOP_WRITE,    0x0200, 0}, // Stop
  {REG_FWD_WRITE,     0x0200, 1}, // Run forward
  {REG_REV_WRITE,     0x0200, 5}, // Run reverse
  {REG_FREQ_READ,     0x0220, 0}, // Read operating frequency
  {REG_STATUS_READ,   0x0210, 0}, // Read status
  {REG_DISABLED},
};

which would translate to the following settings for 8. Creating a custom VFD program:

Command Address Value Comment
max-freq-read 5 0 Maximum operating frequency
freq-set 513 0 Set frequency in 0.1Hz
stop-write 512 0 Stop
fwd-write 512 1 Run forward
rev-write 512 5 Run reverse
freq-read 544 0 Read operating frequency
status-read 528 0 Read status
disable

As for the default settings for the VFD, in Buildbotics v1.0.1 firmware, it says in

v1.0.1/bbctrl-firmware-master/src/pug/templates/settings-tool.pug:

.notes(v-if="tool_type.startsWith('V70')")
        h2 Notes
        p Set the following using the VFD's front panel.
        table.modbus-regs.fixed-regs
          tr
            th Address
            th Value
            th Meaning
            th Description
          tr
            td.reg-addr F001
            td.reg-value 2
            td Communication port
            td Control mode
          tr
            td.reg-addr F002
            td.reg-value 2
            td Communication port
            td Frequency setting selection
          tr
            td.reg-addr F163
            td.reg-value 1
            td Slave address
            td Must match #[tt bus-id] above
          tr
            td.reg-addr F164
            td.reg-value 1
            td 9600 BAUD
            td Must match #[tt baud] above
          tr
            td.reg-addr F165
            td.reg-value 3
            td 8 data, no parity, 1 stop, RTU
            td Must match #[tt parity] above
        p
          | Other settings according to the
          |
          a(href="https://buildbotics.com/upload/vfd/stepperonline-v70.pdf",
            target="_blank") Stepper Online V70 VFD manual

which translates to:

Notes

Set the following using the VFD's front panel.

Address Value Meaning Description
F001 2 Communication port Control mode
F002 2 Communication port Frequency setting selection
F163 1 Slave address Must match #[tt bus-id] above
F164 1 9600 BAUD Must match #[tt baud] above
F165 3 8 data, no parity, 1 stop, RTU Must match #[tt parity] above

Other settings according to the Stepper Online V70 VFD manual

NOTE: I don’t run the Onefinity CNC controller, I just had a look at the firmware! I cannot test anything.

Those are the numbers I came up with, but when entered shows errors

Hey Sid,

Did you set the settings inside the VFD correctly?

Hey Sid,

are you using a shielded, twisted pair cable?

Yes, all the vfd settings are as called for, and working, the spindle starts, stops, goes to s command rpm, verified by vfd hertz reading, it just shows failures and the modbus status flashes between OK & CRC error

Hey Sid,

in the future, could you please provide such information in the first post.

P.S. my controller doesnt have the v70 config, it is the v1.0.9 version, I know Buildbotics has the H100 and V70 configs, and I sent an email to Doug but he didnt seem to willing to support a Onefinity user.

for the testing I have been using twisted non sheilded wires, for the permanent install they will be shielded

1 Like

Well above I’ve shown you the settings for a custom VFD entry, from the buildbotics source code.

This is to expect. Your support is <support@onefinitycnc.com>, which will tell you they don’t support spindles / VFDs :slight_smile:

Hey Sid,

a VFD and its spindle cable usually is a source of heavy EMI. That’s why a shielded spindle cable like shown here is strongly recommended, otherwise you have to expect disturbances. The same applies to the VFD itself, which is usually enclosed in a earthed control cabinet like shown here.

Usually for the ModBus communication cable, a twisted-pair cable is enough, however you can still have hum if you have not grounded everything properly.

Also I would look for poor connections, e.g. this issue already mentioned above, however there are even issues known like this:

Aiph5u, Thanx for your time and assistance in verifying my numbers. I will let the board know if I find a solution for the errors

Thanx, Sid

All control and spindle cables have been replaced with grounded shielded cables, except the twisted rs485 test cable

Hey Sid,

besides the error messages/reported CRC errors, is there any limitation when using the VFD/Spindle via the CNC Controller?