Huanyang VFD to Controller

Mmm that’s a setting I did not realise may need modifying from default, mine is not the stepperonline badged version, my manual is virtually the same just the names are different on branding…H100 vs V70 as per the manual I referenced, I can’t find the manual online for my one but I read it could be a more updated HY.

I will give that a try shortly, good spot.

It was actually already set to standard mode, I tried both settings to no avail. I may carry on with the setting up and run the spindle manually for now, keen to get a wasteboard down and do some test pieces.

Hey Jason,

I am so sorry that you have not yet had any success transferring control of the VFD to the Onefinity Controller via RS-485 / ModBus.

You already checked every step in

Of course, if the VFD and the spindle work manually controlled, then the CNC machine is not useless, but that’s not how it should be operated.

• To regain control “Run/Stop” and “Speed” using the front panel, you’ve set back both F001 and F002 to “0”, is that right?

• In order to let “Run/Stop” and “Speed” be controlled by the Onefinity Controller via RS-485/ModBus using “M3 S10000” commands, both F001 and F002 were set to “2” is that right too?

Yes F001 and F002 were set to 2 when testing comms, as this model has a control knob the setting for manual speed F002 is 3.

Ah okay, this one has a potentiometer on the front panel.

At this point I would already have connected a RS-485 diagnosis device or an oscilloscope. If you have neither, I assume you want to check the VFD on another Controller/Buildbotics/Raspi or the Onefinity Controller with an other VFD…

I had similar timeout issue when I first install my VFD. My breakout board did not make contact with controller connector. At that time I noticed that I needed to apply pression on the breakout board to get OK status. During my test I was able to get it work while the nuts were removed. I finally replace both of them with shorter one (few mm) that were initially on my computer monitor.

So Check this:
A. First check if those nuts are fully tighten
B. Second, check if the metal part is near enough to the connector.

Good Luck

3 Likes

Hey Ghislain,

wow, if that is the cause of the issue, you have to figure it out first. It could be that you made the whole thread redundant, because if the thing is not plugged in correctly, everything that was speculated above is totally superfluous! Thank you very much Ghislain!

I had a similar problem, twice. Check connectivity (my network connector wasn’t connecting well, bad on me) and the same as @blaghislain above- check that all the nuts are tight and not stopping the breakout board from connecting full to the controller.

2 Likes

It’s definitely pointing to the connector isn’t it, the only thing I haven’t done is is check continuity from the vfd terminals to the connections on the back of the D plug of the OF controller. I take it that’s it’s OK to take the case off the OF controller (powered down) just to do this without affecting warranty?

1 Like

Hey Jason,

I don’t know, but if you are not sure you could do what Ghislain said, apply pression on the breakout board (maybe after having removed the nuts) and look if you get OK status on the Tool Configuration Tab. Setting F001 to “2” before, in order to be able to release a “M3” and “M5” command on MDI to Run/Stop Spindle, should be enough

I tried pressing on the dB connector, still no joy so I have now checked continuity from the OF controller board to the VFD and the connections are good, still getting timedout message trying to connect :sleepy:

Hey Steve,

did you get the RS-485 connection to work finally?

Hey Jason,

nothing new as for RS-485 Connection?

No mate, I’ve exhausted all settings and checked cable connections several times, I’m really not sure what else to try without another driver so just gonna run manual for now.

1 Like

Jason,

Not to prolong the misery, but there is a physical jumper in my Huan Yang (J1) That the manual says is supposed to be set to 1-2 jumped for remote management instead of 2-3 for local. 2-3 is how it was set at the factory. Now, in my case, it didn’t make a bit of difference. The Onefinity controller saw the HY on the first try and I hadn’t moved the jumper to 1-2. Maybe you might find success by moving the J1 jumper to pins 1 and 2?

Jim

Hey Jim,

as you stated here, this jumper does not affect the serial communication between VFD and Onefinity Controller.

Nonetheless this jumper, which could not be found in the Huanyang Manual that can be found at Buildbotics or at Automation Technologies Inc., is of great importance for all who have a Huanyang VFD Model with a potentiometer on the Front panel:

A potentiometer can be connected to any VFD, but those models who additionally have a Potentiometer on the Front Panel they need a Jumper or something that lets you choose which potentiometer to use: The one on the Front panel, or the other that you wire to the Analog Terminal Inputs:
!Huanyang_VFD__Basic_Connection_Diagram__With_mark_on_Analog_Input_Terminals
Source: Huanyang Manual, page 12.

Note that if you bought a VFD without potentiometer on the Front Panel, don’t worry, you can at any time connect a potentiometer to the Analog Terminals showed above.

So of course I saved well the information about the jumper you gave me, in order to make it available.

1 Like

Yah, Aiph5u, just grasping at straw, feeling bad for Jason. You are right though. It is related to the potentiometer - not communication with an external controller.

The collets came today. I’m going to install the 80mm mount and the spindle right now. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Opportunity per region for a side hustle @Aiph5u : “Spindle Installer”. I’m sure many would pay a small sum to offset days of fumbling through VFD settings.

Saying that I think I can download my settings from my VFD as backups. Is this possible with others? We could then share the files plus a few tweaks (but it would be a downer on the side hustle :frowning:)

Thanks for asking, no I have not. i moved forward with carving so I can get the beast running & cutting. All working great. But, no control from the Controller to VFD. I tried termination, all baud rates, shielded-twisted cable. All VFD profiles in the drop down. Changing address. All equated to hair loss.

2 Likes

I have to say, I’m always very sorry when someone doesn’t get it to work. And of course also annoying when you can’t say why it doesn’t work.

1 Like