Custom Touch Probe?

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if it is possible to build a custom touch probe, solely for the Z-axis. Is it as “simple” as getting a piece of metal stock, connecting it to the controller/spindle to create a closed circuit and changing the probing offset in the controller?

I am more than comfortable with making the actual probe, just not too sure how it interfaces with the controller/software.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. I made xyz probe out of mdf and covered the appropriate surfaces with copper tape. Works like a champ. I will eventually make one out of aluminum. The key is the connector. I used
[molex connector](Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 dual row (2… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PZY6SM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) from Amazon; also available from your other fine electronics shops like mouser, digikey

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the link and the advice!

Yeah, you absolutely can! In fact, Z axis is all I ever probe. I’m not sure how the Onefinity controller works, but you have to be in a probing mode that only probes the Z axis. The profile shape of the probe plate is not important, just that it’s flat & parallel stock.

Yes it is possible I did it myself,I used the same thikness from the original block, and I used it with Z so I don’t need to remouve the dust boot

2 Likes

Your probe is exactly what I had in mind! I recall seeing a “Probe Z” button or similar on the controller interface.

Did you use the cable from the original probe?

Yes I just need to transfer it

Ok, I never bought the probe so I will have to buy the connectors that Mitch mentioned and make the cable myslef.

You can order fro triquetra

Charlie is very helpful super support

2 Likes

Thanks, that will probably be cheaper and easier.

1 Like