Cuts running over

So I have purchased a set of files from idc woodcraft. I know the files should be ok as I’ve watched Garrett run them on his machine. They save as either straight g code or vcarve cut files. I’ve uploaded the gcode file to my woodworker. Home machine, probe xyz, using .063 bit. I remove the bit to do a simulated cut and the z plunges so far onto the cut surface it popped on of my y rail screws out of my table… this is concerning on several levels. 1, why would the z be going so far down with stock set to a 1.5" thick surface. Z is set to top of material, probed top of material so I’m not sure why that happening. 2, why does the cut run over already carved sections, in this case, I’m carving “Merry Christmas” with merry on the upper section of board and Christmas on bottom section. It cut the c then started to cut the M over the C… any help would be greatly appreciated. If I need to send files, I’m not sure how to do it here… I’ll also make a post in the fb group. Thanks guys!!

The GCode files were created for a specific material, machine & tool combination. It’s unlikely they’ll work here. I believe he has a Longmill CNC and generates grbl GCode.

You’ll want to open the CRV file in VCarve and make sure the tools are selected from the ones you have. Also verify whether it’s designed to home off the top of the material or the spoilboard. Recalculate the toolpaths with the OneFinity post-processor. Save them by tool and then go to your machine.

Zero your X/Y/Z axis and try the cut again.

2 Likes

Jim, thank you for the info. I’ll open the file tomorrow and run the tool paths with the post processor for the onefinity. I did the g code as I thought it would be the fastest option to see if it would work. Looks like not… if saving too the .ngc file still produces the same results what could I try next?

As Jim said, you need to get into Vcarve and make sure everything is set to match your setup and then generate your own gcode files. I would never trust using someone else’s Gcode files (any file extension) for the exact reason of the issues that you are encountering. Too many variables.

1 Like

Thanks for your input Storm, I’m going to try it tonight and hopefully do my first successful cut!

I’d say that’s not possible. You might get other errors but we’ll see then. If you still have issues, drop the CRV file here and I can take a look at it & try it on my 1F.

1 Like

Gents, I’m not sure how to get the file uploaded on here, but I did save the already created toolpaths as a new file using the onefinity p.p, seems to be working ok while got cutting but… I’m using a .063 bit as directed and the bit only has a 3/16" loc, the router plunges farther down than the set depth of cut on the file of .05". The collet nut actually touches the material top surface… I’m not sure how to upload the file so someone could take a peek? Maybe just use a .125 bit and keep the depth the same? I just don’t want to break bits…thanks guys

Jim/Josh,
I have attached the files here. maybe one of you guys can ghost or even cut the toolpaths? i just don’t have a warm and fuzzy sinking my 1/16 bit into this with the z going so deep…

christmas sign pocket.ngc (111.8 KB)
christmas sign profile.ngc (67.6 KB)

Can you upload the CRV file? That way I can create a set of toolpaths I can verify work. That will let me cross check against your gcode to see why yours is different (if it is vs. a problem with VCarve).

If you don’t want it public, just send me a PM (click on my Avatar icon and pick Message).

Nick - have you tried looking at the file in a good code viewer?

I think would be hard to derive things like cutter too big or too small from but gross artifacts like ‘is the depth of cut way off?’ should be visible in a gcode viewer.

-Mark

Mark, I’m talking to onefinity support via email, and they are saying I’m losing z zero position during cuts. So I’m chasing down a wiring issue with the z axis currently… but the gcode viewer sounds interesting. I’m pretty new to cnc so is there a good “gcode” viewer to learn and explains what it does?

Try ncviewer.com.

Losing position is a bummer.

-Mark

Thank you, I’ll check it out later tonight!