Cutter head size

Hello, I was doing a two stage cut last night did the rough cut with 1/4 bit and had in easel set it up for finally pass to be done with a 60 vbit. The cutting head is 1 inch big, did the probed for x,y, and z and went to put in the cutter head size and it will not take it. I put in 1.00, That is right right? Do I have to put it in, in mm maybe? I have the machine set up in imperial measurments. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Don’t probe X and Y with a V-bit. Best to use a bit with horizontal sides, get the X, Y, Z. Then when you change to a V-bit, etc. ONLY do the Z.

I don’t think you can probe a vbit for X an Y. you already should have XY 0 with your roughing bit and only need to probe Z with the vbit.

k thank you see i do not know very new to this. I could of did things to make it work but wanted to find the correct way of doing this before it did become an issue. thanks a bunch you all for your help and getting me straight on this. Greatly appreciated.

Once machine is homed, and using “center” of workpiece, install a Vbit and align it with your center mark on the workpiece to set X Y 0. Install your first cut bit, using touch probe, probe Z. Any bit changes forward only need you to re-probe the bit for Z. Same thing applies to Lower LH corner. Install an end mill, probe X and Y, remove and install Vbit, probe for Z only. FYI once X and Y are set, you only need to probe Z for bit changes. Exception, IMPORTANT. You cannot shut the machine off or have a power interruption at any point prior to finishing the carve. Why, stall homing isn’t an exact, repeatable procedure. If you powered down mid project, picked up the next day, re-homed and re-zeroed, most likely X and Y will be off enough, even though thousands of an inch, to affect/ruin the project. This is where the features of the Elite and Masso Controller pay dividends! Don’t take this wrong, love the X-50 with Buildbotics, I have one, but you really have to plan out a long carve and be willing to attend to it the entire time. I’m learning safety, and say on an 8 hr carve, or a 1 hr carve, unattended, bit breaks, router overheats, wood overheats, all resulting in a potential fire. Just an FYI opinion of mine, I attend to the machine from start to finish even if it’s a 16+hr carve.

1 Like

Hey Troy,

Onefinity_Support_Video__You_cant_probe_XY_with_a_V-bitWhy you can’t probe XY on a V-bit
How to Probe a V-Bit on the Onefinity CNC

Onefinity_Support_Video__Bits_compatible_with_XYZ_Probing
Bits compatible with XYZ Probing
Manually Setting X,Y,Z Zero on the Onefinity CNC

Usually it is not possible to probe XY with such large diameter bits, neither with V-bits.

Generally for probing XY, you don’t need to use the bit you intend to use for milling. This applies only to Z probing. You could even use any cylindrical object like a bit that you insert into the collet the other way around. The only important thing on probing XY is that you enter the diameter of whatever you inserted into the collet into the popup window that asks for the diameter during probing.

The diameter is to enter in the units mentioned in the popup window.

1 Like