Engraving text without solid stock in f360

Hello, I am new to Fusion 360 and had an incident the other day where I bored straight through my work piece and into my table while trying to engrave some text.

I use a 2D contour pocket as the toolpath operation and used a 1/4" bit. I did not draw a blank for the text to engrave into since I figured I could just offset my heights and drawing a blank would not be required. I manually zeroed my machine on the bottom left corner of my work piece. My intention was to pocket an 1/8" into my workpiece but I ended up going straight through my work piece and about 1/8" into my table.

All that to ask the question, do I need to have my blanks drawn in Fusion 360 to engrave text or do you not need to do that I and just set my heights incorrectly? Iā€™ve attached the file for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

CN STEVE v1.f3d (167.2 KB)

I only had a quick look but I donā€™t see something obviously wrong in the file.

From the description, it looks as if you had zeroed the Z axis off your table and not the top of your piece (in the attached Fusion 360 file, you define your coordinate system with Z at the top of the piece).

Alternatively you may have changed the bit and forgot to zero Z for the new bit.

2 Likes

One thing I forgot to mention is that I dont believe I homed the machine before running the program. Not sure if that played a factor. Also, from my initial post, I should have clarified better that I zeroed my machine at the bottom left corner of the TOP of my workpiece.

But what I gathered from your response is that I shouldnā€™t need to have a blank drawn for my program to run correctly?

Thanks so much for looking into it for me.

Ah! I post-processed the g-code, thereā€™s a warning that may explain the problem:

Indeed I only had a quick look and I did not noticed but you have only drawn the sketch. The part is not modelled at all.

Iā€™m not sure that I can help: I have never created pockets like this. I always extrude a 3D part in CAD and configure the paths on the 3D model.
From the warning it would appear that Fusion 360 cannot set the WCS correctlyā€¦ (the part coordinates) and you have a coordinate problem. There might a link thereā€¦

1 Like

Gotcha! Ill try it with actually modeling the blank and see if that helps. Thank you for your time!

1 Like