ER11 collets for China spindles

Hi all, I just pulled the trigger on a Zhong Hua air cooled 1.5k 110v 80mm spindle/ VFD. Ran it for a while and it seems good, so quite. I noticed the collet looked a bit small (ER11) and tested one of my end mills ( all 1/4") to see how it fit. I was able to force the end mill into the collet but when screwing it on to the spindle I was only able to get about 4 to 5 turns cranking it. That’s not a lot of threads. Zhong Hua is made by Huanyang. For those out there that these spindles from China is this the norm? Is there any chance of a ER16 upgrade that will mount on the spindle?
Thxs RD-

Chances are you have a 6mm collet, not a 1/4" one. You can’t use a ER-16 collet or nut with an ER-11 setup. But you can get ER-11 collets in various sizes. The nuts do come in different thread pitches (at least the ER-20 ones do) so you may not be able to just buy spare nuts without verifying they are correct. But one nice thing is to get a nut for each collet size then paint each nut a different color so you can quickly grab the correct size collet/ nut. Lots of sellers on ebay. If buying nuts look for ones that have been balanced (you’ll see drill holes in the side of the nut).

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll hunt for a 7mm collet for a ER-11, seems I’m hunting everything down for this spindle. The cable they give you is 22 awg and 24" long (!). To build a longer cable I finally got them to tell me what Aviation connector they use, it is a GX19-4PB. I think they mean GX19-4S since it is a socket. Anyhow that item (GX19) only exists in China. So I have to play around with what I got and figure out how to re-use the connector it came with.

Given that the ER11 collets max out at 1/4"/6.35mm, which does not give a lot of metal to grip, perhaps trying to find the exact size collet is safest.

1 Like

Some of the collets specify they will work within a range that might include 1/4" but I would get one specifically made for 1/4". I would also get one for 1/8" as you can find small end mills on ebay for cheap that have an 1/8" shank.

2 Likes

I purchased an ER11 collet nut and a 1/4" and a 1/8" collet on Amazon. Works great. Like what was said in a previous post the one that comes with the spindle is 6mm. The only collet nut that will fit your spindle is an ER11.

1 Like

Thanks, I did something unusual today, I read a Chinese spec manual that came with the spindle. It states via a drawing and spec table the spindle supports up to a 6mm collet (arrrrg). Took the collet out again and saw indeed (with magnification) there is a 6 stamped on it. So I’m hoping the 1/4" we ordered yesterday (below) will pop in. Thanks again.
RD-

1 Like

That information should only apply to the specific collet that was shipped with your spindle, having a clamping range from 5.5mm to 6.0mm. The total clamping range of the ER11 system is from 1/32" to 7/64" with all the metric falling in between from 1mm to 7mm.

In your case you should be good to go with what you’ve purchased to accommodate your 1/4" tooling.

Attached is a link to a .pdf that charts the ER collet system and provides the clamping ranges for each system and for each collet in each system.

FYI, I removed my earlier post regarding ER interchangeability. According to further research into the subject, I was providing misinformation. It does not appear that one can simply swap a collet system by changing the spindle’s nut and I was seriously hard pressed to even find adapters. One could probably machine an adapter but I think we’re both committed to just finding industry standard tooling that works with the clamping ranges we’ve settled on since that’s the more supported route.

1 Like

I have similar problem, threads of the nut will not bite if bit is in, it barely bites i am able to barely thread when bit is not in but 1/4 in collet is in, it is like nut needs more threads

Hey Greg @GregoryG, hey RD all,

you need a collet for every bit shank diameter. See here for explanation.

Also…

Hey Greg @GregoryG, hey RD, hey all,

at my cnc supplier, besides a collet for a 6 mm bit shank and one for a 7 mm bit shank, you get one for 6.5 mm. That fits 0.25" bit shanks (in case you would use U.S. bits). Some ER collets manufacturers also offer both imperial and metric collets.

Further information

No. If it is no ATC spindle, if you want ER 16, you need to buy a spindle for ER 16 collets. On ATC spindle like these or these it is possible to buy tool holders for different ER collet sizes and use them with the same spindle, but here you would also try to select a spindle which has the ISO or the HSK tool holder size (ISO20, ISO30, etc.) that fits your favourite ER collet size well.

When I ordered my er 11 spindle from Makersmark, I ordered a set of collets from flyin’ A, as I had given my set away with my 20 X 40 machine when I sold it.
I have several 6mm bits for my Bosch Colt, also I have several small burrs and bits for my Foredom handpiece that has a Jacobs chuck.
You can get 3/8 collets for the Makita which is nice because I have a number of 3/8 bits for my mill. Wish the ER 11 would handle 3/8 bits,
Anyone have a good source of ER11 nuts, which I would like to get?