First Inlay Cutting Board

Impressive. Those YouTube videos are very relaxing to watch. . . for hours.
Is the black done with a laser?

Yes, all of the black was done with a JTech 7w laser (music, strings, outlines)

Do you have any pics before you did the laser part? The extra detail really brings it to the next level!

I have this. I took this picture before starting the laser burns and after doing a water pop and final sand. The board was still a little damp

5 Likes

That is quite impressive. I imagine the overall time to complete all processes was substantial - worth the effort when looking at the result :grinning:

1 Like

Holy cow!!! This is amazing!!! If this is the first inlay I canā€™t wait to see what comes later on. Props to you sir on a job well done.

1 Like

Nice!! And a left handed Telecasterā€¦ rare!

1 Like

Wow! This is stunning!

beautiful, nice job, looks great

Awesome job! I am dying to start using my machine for inlays! This is also one of the main reasons I bought the 1F!! Awesome inspiration!

Would you be willing to sell that file? I have someone that would LOVE that cutting board!

1 Like

How did you zero the laser and the CNC exactly at the same point to ensure the outlines werenā€™t off set? I just got my laser and will be setting up this weekend, but couldnā€™t figure out to zero both at exactly the same zero point. Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Kamran!

• First off, setup 2 stationary points on your spoilboard so that every time you need to move your work piece and place it back it is in the same position. I had an anchor point at the left side and bottom of the work piece bolted down to the spoilboard. Then when I laid the work in after moving it for any reason, it always sat in the exact same position
  • I used the ā€œpointiestā€ bit I had and set my start point at the center of the work piece. This was key!
  • I then created a tiny spot with the bit to create a mark on the wood for future reference
  • Once the inlays were all completed, I then set the lasers X and Y position using this same center mark
  • Every time I turned off the machine and restarted, I did NOT allow the controller to ā€œhomeā€ because it was already lined up with the center. I simply ā€œzeroedā€ the X and Y postion, then set my laser height as needed
  • Because I messed up on some of the inlay, I realized my laser outlines might be a little off. When this happened, I created very tiny ā€œdotsā€ or circles in VCarve and set the power to 10%, then placed the dots around the outline I wanted to make. I then ran that file on the CNC and checked carefully where they landed. I adjusted the X and Y position as needed until I thought the outline was where it needed to be
  • In some cases I simply made the outline a little ā€œthickerā€ in order to cover up questionable areas I couldnā€™t seem to perfectly align

I hope that helps!
Merry Christmas Kamran!

3 Likes

Thank you for your detailed response and some great tips. Looking forward to playing with my laser. I wish there was an easier way to zero both CNC and Laser at the exact same location without the guess work. I thought CNC/Laser was like telling the genie to get it done and it gets done. lol.

Yeah that would be nice, but the laser is mounted in front of the spindle which offsets it by a few inches, so you have to set the start point again

I found that same board on Etsy for $70! ā€¦Sorry, I just had too. Considering the audience, I think we could all get a laugh out of that. Beautiful work! I live in Nashville and know a lot of people that would love that board!!!

2 Likes

Ok that was pretty good. I had to place my eyeballs back in my head after they popped out and bounced off the screen! Just sayā€™nā€¦ :wink:

Simply amazing!! Great work!!

That is beautiful! Looks like the work of someone that has been doing inlays for years!

Bravoā€¦ Great work ANDā€¦ Iā€™d find another board for the cuttingā€¦

1 Like