How do you zero without a touch probe?

My touch probe hasn’t arrived yet. How do you manually set the zero point?

Hey Rob,

with the cnc zero paper method

2 Likes

Once you have found your zero points press one of these icons on the controller screen.

5 Likes

If I don’t need much precision, I’ll move whatever bit I’m planning on using over the corner of my material (visibly centered over the corner) and then set my X&Y zeroes per Chris’s post. Then I use the paper method mentioned to set the Z.

If I need a little more precision, I’ll start with a 30 degree v-bit, set the point right into the corner of the material, and set my X&Y as mentioned above. Then I switch bits to whatever I need to use (end mill or whatever) and set my Z with that bit using the paper method After you change bits, do not change your X/Y zeroes…only the Z.

You will not change your X/Y through the entire project. After each bit change, you only need to set the Z zero.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I was doing but there isn’t really any interface “feedback” —the little icon doesn’t change shape or color—so I thought it wasn’t doing anything. I got it now.

I’m an old hand at the “zero paper” method from my Genmitsu days…

1 Like

Well I just made my first thing on my Journeyman X-50. A humble waste board but man this machine is slick! I spent 5 frustrating months trying to make a Ginmitsu PROVer work and it was so limited. I was afraid the 1F would be even more frustrating but so far, I’m finding it much simpler. And I’m using Fusion for CAM and post…and it’s STILL easier! hahahahah

1 Like