How to fix ERROR: X axis is greater than soft limit message

How do I fix an error message: X axis position 818.222mm is greater than maximum soft limit 816mm?

I had a similar issue, and it was due to a lead in setting on Fusion 360. Here is a link to a write-up to explain. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Daniel,

There are a number of things that can contribute to this. In essence it is saying that the combination of your X0 location, plus the x moves in your GCODE is going past what it can physically achieve.

Check:

• Homing,
  • x zero
  • x job size (not really an issue, it’s actually…
  • max X value for the carve.

If you say have an 816mm rectangle, and try to pocket this with an allowance of -10, you will go past 816. Similarly if you tried to to do an outline cut on the outside of this it would go past 816.

Hope this is helpful.

If you are still having issues, then some more details like screen shots of home, zero, GCODE header, job size, might help us narrow the issue down…

Tas

1 Like

That fixed it Mike! Thanks for your help. Now I just need to get the bit to actually touch the workpiece. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dan

Thank you for your help, Tas. I tried Mike’s suggestion and that fixed it for me.

Thank you,
Dan

1 Like

Hi Mike. Here is a screenshot of my tool height settings. See image. I’m very new to Fusion 360 and CNC so I’m not very knowledgeable of where the tool height setting should start at and how to set the height of the final pass. Can you or anyone give me a suggestion how to get the bit to actually cut the wasteboard?

Thanks again…and again…and again!
Dan

Dan,
The bottom height - at the very bottom of that screen you shared - is the problem.
I’m assuming you have your Z0 set to the model top.
Right now it says 0 - which means cut down to the model top and no deeper.
Set that to however deep below the model top you want to cut, -.030 if that’s what you want.

Thank you Chris. I appreciate your help.

Dan

Hello Paul and thank you for your help. I agree that cutting the waste board as the first thing to do in F360 is complicated as a beginner. That’s me! But I was able to get it done finally. I appreciate the link to Austin’s videos, it’s just what I needed at this time and I also see that he builds guitars like I do. Very helpful information.

Thanks again for the advice!
Dan

Very cool! I love classical guitars and I would like to see the ones you made. I make jazz archtop guitars so the cnc will save me a lot of time hogging out the waste wood before I work the rest by hand. I’ll check out Austin’s discord site (don’t know what that is), hopefully I can find it on the web. Send me a link to your guitars, love to see them!

Take care,
Dan