How to set zero somewhere other than bottom left

Okay now I’ll probably need additional tutelage when the time comes. I understand what you mean in theory but not necessarily in practice.
The good news is that I like to futz around with things like this.

Okay, combine this with what you have said in another thread… G92 is an absolute move, got it. Now is there a g code for resetting your current position to zero?
If so I’ve got this.

Yup, it’s is the G92 command. Here are some examples:

G92 X0 This will set your X axis current location to zero.
G92 X10 This will set your X axis current location to X 10
G92 X0Y0Z0 This will set all three axis to zero or any other value you replace the zero with.

3 Likes

Okay I didn’t have it but I do now, G92 doesn’t move your gantry but instead changes the reference!
So aft the lines that run the zero routine you add G92 with the proper positive or negative numbers and your zero has changed. Right?

And the winner is…

The G92 command is passed each time the touch plate stops when making contact with the touch palte because that is a known location for that axis of movement.

2 Likes

were trying to do same thing , after homing we job it to were start is going to be fin work piece but after file runs it stays at end position and not go back to were we started what do we need to do to get this, we tried the 0 with line for x and y and still stayed at end of program file were it finished and not go back to were we started cnc

the 0 with the line through it is where you set your zero. the dot in the center of the X+X-Y+Y- buttons will RETURN your machine to the xy zero you set earlier with the 0 with a line through it.

2 Likes

do you have to clip dot to return home each time or is their a way to set this automatically after each tool path is complete

Here is my solution to zeroing to an alternate location. It will be ready to release in the next few day. For now here is a sneak peak.

15 Likes

As a Beta tester for Charley’s program, I can say its a must have tool for your toolbox. You can set your 0 very quickly, easily and repeatably. It also provides the ability to have your OF finish the carve and move to to a different location automatically, allowing you to easily unclamp your work, the hit Zero and it comes back to 0.0.

The software can facilitate zeroing off of the front right corner of your project as well as zero off of circular stock as well.

Added benefits :crazy_face:

• Laser zeroing
  • Metric and imperial dimension capability
  • Decimal to fraction calculator
  • Amazing support from Charley

Very excited for Charley to launch the Toolbox, you guys are going to love it!

-Alex

7 Likes

Looks great Charley! Will be very helpful to a lot of us!

2 Likes

Cant wait to try this out,nice one Charley

1 Like

When will it be available?

Very soon, Charley is just putting the polishing touches on it.

-Alex

1 Like

Regarding the original question - I’ve been zeroing to the center by

1. zero machine normally
  2. move via controller or otherwise to a the center of the workpiece
  3. hit the line-through-0 in the position line for both X and Y axis
  4. then use the touch probe to probe Z (with it flipped over, logo down)
  5. cut as expected by program

the only downside remaining is that position is lost if you have to e-stop or reboot your machine. Personally, I don’t leave my machine running when I’m not using it, so I have to re-home every day.

I think a great addition to the software would be the ability to have user-specified zero positions that can be “stored” by the machine and re-loaded / used at any time. This is a normal feature on larger pro-level machines, and would be great to have on Onefinity as it’s just an addition to the software.

It would also be great if the machine could store in it’s local memory the “last” set zero position (that isn’t the auto homing zero position) in case of an e-stop without a saved preference.

@OnefinityCNC are either of those ideas possible?

2 Likes

These have both been requested in the “feature request” area of the fourm.

1 Like

If you are talking about moving your bit to X Y Z zero after running the zeroing codes generated by the my software that I will be releasing very soon, then the answer is yes, there is an option to include return to zero. If you choose that option then when the zeroing is completed, you will receive an onscreen prompt to remove the touch plate and hit continue. When you click the continue button your bit will automatically move to XY zero and then Z zero.

If you are referring to a normal carving file tool path then that depends on the post processor. Most of the time it will include code to return your bit to X Y Zero but leave your bit at a safe height and not at Z zero. I usually insert code manually at the end of my carving files which move the spindle towards the back of the machine which provides me access to the completed carving without having to manually move the machine.

There is a standard GRBL code that will set a X Y Z zero location that persists over power cycles. I don’t know if this will work on the OneFinity or not. I will check later today. The only problem with this is that it is only useful if you are able to put your material in EXACTLY the same spot every time and you must home your machine before they will be accurate. However, If you create a new project and your material is a different size then this is not likely to be correct. I personally much prefer to zero my bit to the material origin that I set in the CAD program.

As for homing your machine. This has been debated for a long time. My position is that homing is not really necessary. The fact is, you can power on your machine and set your X Y Z zero to the origin of your material and carve away. I do this daily. The only downside is that you won’t have any reference for soft limits. If yo intend on carving a project that will put your machine near the absolute limits on any axis then homing is probably a good idea just for the purpose of making your soft limits work to prevent crashing.

2 Likes

It’s in the For Sale/Trade Section

3 Likes

Steve… its available now, see the link below in the thread. :slight_smile:
-Alex