I am looking for a simple video on moving pre-made files to 1F

I am looking for a simple tutorial to walk me through the use of pre-designed ETSY purchased files. Quick little projects that I can do for Christmas gifts…
I just need to be certain that I take the file from the seller (ETSY) to the 1F controller and can run the program… What do I need to do to check out the tool paths and to avoid fatal errors as I mount the material and load the program etc…
I would like it to be so simple as to show how to download the file from seller, take the file from my computer on a thumb drive, (is this the normal way?) open the file on my 1F display screen, check tool paths, home the 1F using the touch probe- and then stepping through the project using the controller…
Does anyone have one of these type projects that you sell with this type of 1F video for Newbies/dummies…
DCC

2 Likes

I’m not sure such a thing exists, or should. What pre-designed files are you talking about? A file that can go directly to the Onefinity controller is G-Code. Buying G-code files could be a bad idea, they need to be configured for your machine, your bits, your router, your wood, etc.

A lot of files on Etsy are going to be in a CAD format. They need to be loaded in to CAD/CAM software where you go in and set the parameters for feeds and speeds, etc that you want to use for your equipment. Then the software generates the G-code that is specific for your configuration.

What CAD/CAM software are you using? I’m talking about software like Vcarve, Carvco Maker, Easel, etc.

Lots of videos on Youtube to get you started on the CAD/CAM software, your CNC, etc.

BTW, if you have your Onefinity controller on a network there’s no need to use a thumb drive.

2 Likes

So- I bought a Spoil board program- that is/was supposed to be carve ready… I am reluctant to load it and watch it go… I can see it with my VCarve Pro on my laptop- but not when I sneaker-net it out to the shop and on to the controller. Have you used one (a spoil board program) that you trust? No matter what anyone says - The QCW -quick change waste board system- with bottom mounts - is not quick to replace. - I hate to have the first file I cut be a reason to have to change it after the first cut…
Long story short- I am looking for files that are set for 1F machines and can be executed quickly and safely…
I have manually flattened a couple of ‘cookies’ (tree trunk rounds) with the JoyStick. My QCW seems to be flat as I have flipped it over and done both sides- no disparities or tramming issues.
DCC

The reason for the post is because I can see the Spoil Board Program with Tool Paths and everything as expected on my laptop in the house. Then, when I save it to the thumb drive and take it to the shop I can’t see the same thing on the controller/screen and I am reluctant to let it go- if there is a problem…
That is why I am looking for some smaller simple projects built for 1F to try first. Ones that 1F customers have run on their machines successfully. Or a proven 1F spoil board program that is truly Carve Ready. — Same network does not reach to the shop- for placing the controller on the same network as my Laptop in the house.
DCC

No, I haven’t use a bought spoil board program. I made my own as my first project.

From VCarve Pro you need to have it export the g-code and then you can bring that to the Onefinity. When you load it there you should see tool paths appear in the 3D drawing. Oh wait, I think that doesn’t show up on the local screen (I don’t have a local screen, I use a laptop).

Why don’t you bring your laptop out to the machine for at least the first couple uses of it. Give you some confidence. With the laptop you can bring up the Onefinity interface in a web browser and see the tool paths.

BTW, Onefinity includes the gcode for their white test board that they include. It’s on the machine already if I recall correctly. You could test with that. Get a board of a similar or larger size and a 1/4" bit.

2 Likes

David,
As mentioned, you need to create the toolpaths with bit parameters etc.
send me a message through FB messenger and can get you some assistance with this.

When you buy a file like the ones on Etsy, you are buying the design. You have to import the design into your software and generate the toolpaths yourself, adjust the size etc. You need to generate your own gcode then you can cut

1 Like

I am networked to the 1F controller for the following reasons.

1. The 1F controller doesn’t have enough computing power to display the tool paths on the 1F or aftermarket screen.
  2. I’m not a fan of thumb drives and the inconveniences. I like being able to download cut files directly from the web interface to the 1F. Note, this is a mirror image of the 1F screen and does display the tool paths, all be it quite small.
    Like others have said, for piece of mind, direct connect your laptop to the 1F. I have used many Etsy “design” files for the design. However, I ALWAYS create my own tool paths for such. A “generic” file that’s supposed to work on the 1F has the potential for 100 times failure vs load and run success.Watch video’s, read the forum, practice, and soon many of your concerns will be a no thought process.I did many test cuts on scrap before pulling the trigger on the final project piece. This gave me practice and confidence to now carve the finished piece without test cuts.

Hey David, maybe one of these days you can stop by at my house after work (we can coordinate it). I can give you a quick run down and process to convert the purchased files to G-Code. You know where to hit me up.

Kamran

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea.
DCC

You should remove the thumb drive step, set up a remote ISP so you don’t have toad it up to a thumb drive anymore. You can adjust the file Andy immediately send it to the controller….

As for the file question, there are alot of great spoilboard designs out there, look into tools today, they have a great version and Been Meyers has another great one

Howdy Kamran- How are things in your area? did you upgrade to the Elite version?
Are you still willing to show me a few things? About the process in general?
DCC

Same thing, different day. Things have been changing rapidly at work, but it’s all good. Yes, I have ordered the Elite upgrade but I ordered it few days after the launch so I am sure I have a way to go.

Of course, I am here to help. Let me know. I usually get home around 4:30, but send me an email and we can coordinate.

Kamran

Are you up and running with your Elite system upgrade yet? I would love to pick your brain some-
DCC

Still patiently waiting for it to be delivered. I don’t have any updates as to when it will be delivered.