I can not open the digital files i bought on etsy

iam able to download the files well first off they seem to come in various formats but when i download them i am unable to view them on my computer screen. we ll some i can and some ask me what to open them with so yes what should i open them with? these are svg. eps. and stuff i have never heard of. all I want to do is get them into vetrics vcarve eventually, but for now I just want to see them. one download surprised me with like 800 files. HELP_!

I THINK I FOUND PART OF THE ANSWER. i CAN OPEN UP SOME TYPES OF FILES BUT NOT OTHERS. i STILL NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN SSAVE THESE FILES IN VCARVE PRO AND HOW.

Try this.

4 Likes

Hey Robert,

you might be interested in this:

…and especially in this:

What vector file formats can I import?

SOFTWARE: Aspire, VCarve, Cut2D

You can open or import files that have been saved in the following formats by using either File > Import > Import Vectors OR the Import Vectors from a file icon.

DXF – Drawing Exchange Files from CAD systems
EPS – Encapsulated Postscript from Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw etc.
AI – Adobe Illustrator
PDF – Portable Document Format for industry standard print data
SKP – Sketchup models
DWG – Drawing file from CAD applications

If the designs are being prepared with software such as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator we recommend that you convert the vector geometry and text to curves and switch off all patterns or colour fills before exporting, preferably as an EPS file.

Note: .SKP files can only be imported to Aspire, VCarve and Cut2D V8.0 (Pro and Desktop) and higher.

– Source: Switching to Vectric

What are some problems and solutions for importing DXF files?

SOFTWARE: Aspire, VCarve, Cut2D

When importing DXF files in from other CAD systems, such as AutoCAD, TurboCAD, Rhino, etc., the files will be opened in the original size and position.

Problem - Vectors did not import correctly

DXF files from other CAD systems may often appear as individual lines and arcs after being imported and cannot be v-carved or pocketed between unless the vectors are joined using the tools supplied within Vectric products.

These lines can be profile machined using a profile-on toolpath, but the individual vectors will machine separately which may result in very jerky machine movements and slow machining times.

Solution - Join the Open Vectors

Use the Join Open Vectors tool to join the lines and arcs together so they can be machined more efficiently. The Join Open Vectors tool is started using this icon and can be found within the Edit Objects section of the Drawing Tools of Cut2D, VCarve Pro and Aspire.

In addition, Aspire and VCarve Pro have the ability to convert vectors into all lines, all Bezier curve or all arcs using the Fit Curves to Selected Vectors tool which can greatly improve cut quality on some machines.

Problem - DXF file fails to import

If a DXF file fails to import, it may be due to the DXF version or the DXF file contains entities that Vectric software does not support.

Solution - Export in another format

If this is the case, try exporting the file again from the original CAD system in AutoCAD R12 or R14 format as these tend to be more compatible. The ability to export in older versions is normally offered by all major CAD systems. If needed, please consult your CAD application documentation for full details on exporting vectors.

Problem - Imported vectors do not contain original Bezier curves

The DXF format does not support Bezier curves, and can only save arc curves and straight lines.

Solution - Export in another format

In your original application, use a different format to save your vectors, such as Ai or EPS. Alternatively, modify your design before saving to convert the Bezier curves to lines and arcs, which will export correctly in a DXF file.

What 3D file formats can I import into VCarve?

SOFTWARE: VCarve

You can open or import files that have been saved in the following formats by using either File > Import > Import Component / 3D Model OR the Import a component or 3D model icon on the Modeling Tab.

3D Models

• STL – CAD orientated 3D design packages and scanning systems
  • DXF – Many CAD systems – data must consist of meshes or triangles
  • 3DS – 3D Studio and many other animation-oriented packages
  • OBJ – Wavefront
  • SKP – SketchUp software files
  • V3M – Design & Make clipart models
  • LWO – Lightwave 3D Object model
  • 3DM – Rhino 3D model
  • WRL – Netscape 3D live picture

What 3D file formats can I import into Aspire?

SOFTWARE: Aspire

You can open or import files that have been saved in the following formats by using either File > Import > Import Component / 3D Model OR the Import a component or 3D model icon on the Modeling Tab.

3D Models

• STL – CAD orientated 3D design packages and scanning systems
  • DXF – Many CAD systems – data must consist of meshes or triangles
  • 3DS – 3D Studio and many other animation-oriented packages
  • OBJ – Wavefront
  • SKP – SketchUp software files
  • V3M – Design & Make clipart models
  • 3DClip – Vectric Aspire clipart files
  • LWO – Lightwave 3D Object model
  • 3DM – Rhino 3D model
  • WRL – Netscape 3D live picture

3 Likes

HOLY COW. when it comes to explanations you do not screw around. I was trying to save all these files on my computer. now i realize i need to open vetrics first and import these rascals into it. thanks once again.

1 Like

Hey Robert,

generally after receiving the Vectric VCarve Pro software, I would first go through the following very helpful information:

2 Likes

Here’s what you can do:

1. SVG Files:
  • SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files are commonly used for 2D vector graphics, and they can be opened in a web browser or dedicated graphic design software.
  • Web Browser: You can try opening SVG files in your web browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. Simply drag and drop the SVG file into your browser or right-click and choose β€œOpen with” your preferred browser.
  • Graphic Design Software: If you want to edit or manipulate the SVG files, you can use graphic design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape (a free and open-source alternative), or CorelDRAW.
  1. EPS Files:
  • EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files are also vector graphics files commonly used in professional design work.
  • Graphic Design Software: To view and edit EPS files, you can use Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, or Inkscape. These software programs should be able to open EPS files without any issues.
  • Online Converters: If you want to convert EPS files to another format (like SVG), you can use online converters to do that. Many online tools can convert EPS files to other formats.
1 Like