I ordered one at last

finally ordered my journeyman. and most of the upgrades and stuff i wanted. order # 30641 woohoo!
here is the table I am building.

3 Likes

Looks pretty solid to me!

no doubt. About it. the hard part was straightening the pieces as 4x4’s and not noted for being straight lumber

1 Like

Hey Robert,

how did you straighten them?

i have a jointer and a thickness planer.

It was hard because they were that warped and twisted?

I asked because I was curious if there could be someone here who knows how to / is used to straighten them by hand :slight_smile:

if you mean with a hand plane? you will need a very good plane. I would go to “stumpy nubs” website he has a lot of info on hand planes and what kinds to use for this function. I am way too impatient to take that long to straighten and square up 6 foot 4x4’s by hand

Hey Robert,

I meant I am curious if there could be someone here besides me who knows how to / is used to straighten them by hand :slight_smile:

I have tried to read every post possible but seeing who has what skills I couldn’t begin to guess, but there sure are a lot of computer techies here. i am 68 and have built many things I am also a machinist of sorts I used to build drift trike frames for a company, precision tube bending to 1 tenth of one degree with a cnc bender and machining head tubes and various other parts of the trikes. I am fortunate in that I have a metal cutting lathe and a milling machine.

Hey Robert,

I have read almost everything too :slight_smile: But it’s not always easy to guess, however during the exchange I often try to find out who does what or sometimes people start to tell about it. It is very interesting to hear what people do.

I had a larger workshop longer time ago, but in the last years I was busy in a way that means a lot of work at the screen. In my woodworking shop I have worked for twenty years without any power tools, only hand tools, with very traditional (not to say ancient) methods. But now I have bought some things, including the CNC and hope to have a larger workshop again this year. Here is a picture of one of my jointers :slight_smile: I put a smoothing plane next to it so you can see the size:

Image 1:
Top: ECE Nr. 101 S Jointing plane with chipbreaker, European beech body, European hornbeam sole, 23 5/8" body length, 2 3/8" cutter width, 45° cutting angle
Bottom: ECE Nr. 103 Smoothing plane with chipbreaker, European beech body, European hornbeam sole, 9 1/2" body length, 1 3/4" cutter width, 45° cutting angle

These planes are still made in Germany in the traditional way, since 170 years. However most of the planes I own come from Canada :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t tell from the photos - where does the cord come out? Or do the batteries just slide in the base? :laughing: :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey Robert,

didn’t know this one, thanks for the tip

This works quite well if you see it as a kind of meditation :slight_smile:

This is very interesting. Did you weld the tubes too?

Then yes, I would consider you as fortunate :slight_smile:

I can weld but it aint pretty. my son is the welder. I’m a problem solver. i will think of ways to get it done. lol

2 Likes

It’s powered by Green energy, so long as you don’t release too much methane while pushing.

3 Likes

they run on unleaded porridge :laughing:

3 Likes

thank you for all your help I got my notice of a label created today so I know my JM is on its way soon. I have been learning the software and i think i saved my first project so that i can cut it when i get the machine all set up and running. Again, thanks for all your help I hope be of help to others as well sometime.

Robert

1 Like