Ignoring Soft Limits

Hi all,

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on an Elite problem I’m recently encountering. When I attempt to home the spindle, the carriage will continue to move through the soft limits, in both the x and y axes, until it is, mechanically, at the end of travel. I then have to press and release the emergency stop button before I am able to continue the homing process. The sequence of events is: press home → carriage moves in -y direction until it is unable, mechanically, to move any further & motor alarm is triggered → press and release emergency stop button → press home → carriage moves in -X direction until it is unable, mechanically, to move any further & motor alarm is triggered → press and release emergency stop button → press home -->carriage moves to x=0,y=0 position and is ready. Interestingly, if I jog the carriage using the jog buttons, the soft limits will be triggered to cease motion.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Erik,
That is a strange combination, the default HTG file should load a home sequence of Z alone, followed by Y alone, followed by X alone. Homing establishes the soft limits using the IR switches on each axis. What you describe sounds like the IR switches are not functioning correctly at all, so during homing, it does not see the switch being made.
I would email support@onefinitycnc.com and convey that to them. In the short term, you might try to reload the HTG file, and see if it corrects the issue. It should be on the USB stick in the Masso folder, and you can reload it by tapping on the screen on boot up for about 5-7 seconds to bring up the load software prompt. (Note: some folks have had issues and need to boot without the stick in place to bring up the load prompt)

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your response! Let me apologize, as you are correct. After pressing “home”, the first thing that happens is that the carriage does move in the Z direction. I did not include it in my defined sequence because the Z soft limit is activated.

Does this change your “diagnosis”?

Erik,

No, it really doesn’t matter, but that probably means the configuration file is (maybe) okay. I would look into the F1 page, and see if anything in the status column is indicating “Hi” which is red. The only thing should be the E-stop when you first open the page, and activating it will change to green and reset back to red. You should be able to trigger the homing switches with a piece of construction paper in the slot and see them change states. It is almost like your homing switches are not working at all, as they should trigger and not alarm the motor, and certainly not slam into the end of travel.
At any thing, see if there are red status items, it there are touch to highlight them and press the space bar on the keyboard to change them to low/green. That may solve your problem. Also, on the F1 page double tap the general tab and see if the soft and hard limits are ticked. You should have the “disable hard limits” ticked, and not the disable soft limits ticked. Mine came with disable soft, which I unticked.

1 Like

Jim,

Thank you again for your help and time! I sincerely appreciate it.

I think you may have actually identified the problem. On the general tab of the F1 page, I noticed that both the “disable” soft and hard limits boxes are ticked. I tried unticking both of them, but ending up getting the same results. I will try clearing the disable soft limits box and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Erik,

Leave the hard limits disabled for the Onefinity. Hard limits are for machines with switches at each end of travel and Onefinity doesn’t have that. Soft limits IS for the Onefinity, as you have limit switches at one end and then it uses software distances to know where the far end is. Did you have anything red for status other than E-stop? You shouldn’t, at least mine doesn’t.

Jim

1 Like

Hi Jim,

I unticked “disable soft limits”, kept “disable hard limits” ticked, but to no avail. Same results.

The only other red status buttons I have, other than the emergency stop, relates to the MTG pendant. Everything else is green.

Erik,
I can’t think of any other solution, except, perhaps your homing switches are damaged. Did you try watching the F1 page while trying to insert a piece of heavy paper into each limit switch to see if they turn Hi/red ?
I had one damaged in shipment, but it was smashed pretty bad and was obvious. That is the only other thing I can think to troubleshoot.
Can you upload a short video of the homing sequence for us to see?

Jim

1 Like

Jim,

Thank you for all your help.

Interestingly, the switches do work other than when I try to home the machine. That is, currently, the only time when I run into this problem.

I’ll give Onefinity Tech Support a call and see if they can offer a solution.

I’ll be sure to post back when I know something.

I’m pretty sure they don’t take calls, but email support only. They even respond on weekends.

Support doesn’t have a phone number.
Email them directly support@onefinitycnc.com