Is anybody using the Masso Beta v5.100b upgrade?

• PwnCNC spindles or American spindles can be rebuilt locally. You don’t send Japanese cars back to Japan to change oil.

• ER20 and ISO-20 is sufficient for what I do - mainly wood.

• Air cooled systems want you to provide clean air - otherwise there will be a build up of dust on the inside of the spindle which will reduce the cooling effectiveness. Liquid cooled spindles with a chiller can use RV Antifreeze and are a closed system. You only have to change the fluids once a year or so. A chiller has an alarm port and a cable can turn off the spindle if there is a problem. Liquid cooled spindles can continue to cool off when the spindle goes to 0 rpm. Air cooled spindles require the motor to turn for cooling.

• One big concern is Sola Fide Designs require 30 amp circuit (stated in their youtube video and their documentation. A 2.2 kw spindles at 220 should draw 10 amps so a 15 amp circuit should be sufficient.
    I have a 30 amp dedicated space heater and run 4 - 15 amp dedicated circuits. So power can be marginal in a garage.

• Onefinity wants us to fill the oil reservoirs and the Z axis requires removing the Z.20 (elite foreman) which should be easier with the round spindle. Also the spindle comes in around 3 lbs lighter than the CNC Depot spindle.

• I went with 400 hz 2.2 kw 220 volt water cooled spindle. Once PwnCNC has more ATC experience under their belt I will go with their ATC system and keep the other spindle as a backup.

• These are the reasons I went with PwnCNC

1 Like