Journeyman accuracy and more

I would like to see more detailed information on the performance of the new Journeyman. Onefinity has referred me to and given links to the beta testers. So far, beta testers have posted videos of the machine working and information like it is more accurate than the woodworker. But havent seen any description and numerical results of testing for accuracy. On facebook at least one other is asking the same question. Anyone help here? Hoping there is more information out there about accuracy and other operational experience.

1 Like

Hi Lynn! Accuracy is SO subjective. There’s no reason that a Journeyman setup shouldn’t be every bit as accurate and repeatable as the Woodworker, or vice-versa. But accuracy and repeatability are simply numeric values that’s subject to how accurate the machine was set up (squareness & parallelism), how accurately the homing routine runs, and the quality of the set-up. Dimensional accuracy also comes from tweaking in the steps-per-mm number over the longest measurable dimension that you can accurately measure. Larger rails don’t necessarily improve accuracy in this application.

I can’t see how it could be “more accurate” than a Woodworker in practical application. It still uses the same B-grade ball screws. This machine simply doesn’t see the kind of forces necessary that would flex a 35mm rail under normal operating load. The Journeyman uses 50mm rails primarily due to the longer unsupported span.

2 Likes

So true Bill and I totally agree.

1 Like

I did some calculations a while back can’t exactly remember the results but you should expect the absolute placement to be slightly larger error simply because the screw thread is a bit more course. But I think it was a matter of < mil difference so I would not worry about it.

thanks Bill. you’re right that accuracy is subjective. I asked about accuracy because one of the beta testers commented about it. A description of the tests from which the conculsion was drawn would help. But overall, we dont have alot of information about how the journeyman machine performs. nor do we have much information about tiling and other subjects that are of interest with the larger machine. More would help.

1 Like