Machine stops once cut is in progress

I’ve been attempting to make some test cuts to figure out my best settings for using vbits, and on each cut, my machine just stops and stays in one spot.

I updated to the latest firmware and thought that would fix the issue, but it’s still happening.

The first time it did this, I re-exported the gcode from Easel, just at a different cut depth. It did the same thing, but in a totally different part of the cut. The next few times I’ve had a completely different design / file. One with a 90 degree bit, one with a 60 degree, so all different speeds/feeds.

I was really hoping the firmware update fixed this, but that’s not the case. Any advice? If there are more details I need to share to help troubleshoot, let me know.

1)Not familiar with Easel but with Fusion you need to select a post processor specific to onefinity. Was this done? 2)Do an air cut and see if you have the same problem. 2)Look at the line of code where the program stops to see if the machine is waiting for something. 3)Check the message tab in the controller after this error happens to see if there is an error recorded. 4)Try uploading your code into a Gcode simulator like this one. (https://ncviewer.com/) to see what the G-code is doing.

1 Like

I did an air cut as you suggested, and it seems I was being impatient. While it looked like everything had stopped, except for the router still spinning, it was just making a very slow cut. The first time it happened I just panicked and hit the emergency stop button.

Thanks for the reply and helping me through it … I’m still quite new to all of this and admit I am intimidated by the machine at times!

2 Likes

This may be due to number of segments in an arc vs being a smooth curve. A smooth curve can accel and run at full speed but each segment and direction change needs to accelerate again. This is where jerk and accel settings can improve but also cause missed steps. I had a smooth arch actually expose that somehow my max jerk was set to 120000 (yes… Those 2 extra 0s) and the smooth curve was long enough that it hit full speed and the steppers said nope (speed was also way to high… Like 300ipm on a 0.25" downcut because I am an idiot…)

2 Likes

We were all new once :slightly_smiling_face:

The thing I used to tell my CNC students was that they aren’t likely to really break the machine. Worst case they’ll break a bit or mess up some material. Bits & wood aren’t super expensive (well, bits anyway :grinning:). Just look at it as part of the “course” fee in learning .

It takes a lot of work to truly mess up big time so it’s okay to relax & take a breath. We’ve all broken bits and gotten screwy results on projects. Edited YouTube videos usually don’t show that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like