Magnetic Mount for JTech

Here you go. I print one male block to mount on the JTech itself, and then two female blocks (one that stays on the spindle bracket all the time, and another someplace handy (like the side of my workbench that won’t get bumped) where I can store the JTech when it’s not in use.

If the magnet recesses are still too deep, or if I over compensated and made them too shallow, please let me know. It’s an easy fix in Fusion.

Male Mounting Block v3_1mm shallow.stl (298.1 KB)

Female Mounting Block v3_1mm shallow.stl (319.0 KB)

I printed these out, but there’s still a large gap. My particular magnets are 1.8mm high. When installed, there’s ~ 1.4mm gap to flush on the male part and ~ 2mm gap to flush on the female part. I can also edit the fusion file for my magnets if that’s easier for you!

Thanks for posting the files!

I’m happy to share the f3d file with you. This forum does not allow the f3d extension type as attachments to posts, but here’s that file masquerading as a .pdf. Download it and change the extension manually, then it should open in Fusion for you. Note that it’s one file, with the male and female mounts in separate bodies.

Let me know if this doesn’t work out, and we can try facebook, or email.

JTech Laser Mount - magnetic adapter v4.pdf (286.5 KB)

I must say, though: credit once again goes to @BNB187 for the original design of this. All I did was (clumsily) translate his dxf into Fusion for 3D printing.

2 Likes

Got it, edited the file, printing now. Thanks again to you and @BNB187!

3 Likes

Hey Paul, if you are making and selling those, I am a taker, my postal code is J8r3p4, in Gatineau close to Ottawa

Hi, Richard. I am not making these to sell. However, at some point in the recent past, @Stewie21 (Jason) was making something similar and selling them on etsy. See this video for more… JStewie’s Quick Connect JTech Laser Mount for Onefinity - YouTube

–Paul.

2 Likes

Hello,
I don’t have a 3d printer so I serviced out one made. I also purchased the same magnets you recommended.
I have run into several problems. First the 5 minute epoxy didn’t fill the holes enough. So, the magnets were either too deep. Or worse, were tilted because they were being drawn to the magnetic field of the magnet beside them. Ok, I can have the shallower version printed. Another problem I have run into is polarity of the magnets. It seems no matter how careful I am one or more magnets gets glued in with the wrong polarity, pushing away instead of drawing together. If each male and female piece has 6 magnets each, what should the polarity be? Male, all ++++++ Female all ------ ? Or Male ±
-+
± ? etc. Could you draw a picture of how your polarities are?
Thanks,

It doesn’t really matter what the polarities are as long as the opposing one is opposite. I usually just mark one end of the stack of magnets and ensure they all go in the same way on each half. As for the epoxy issue, I used CA glue as it’s much thinner. The dimension I used for magnets were for CNC cut pieces and there can be some variance in size due to tolerance of the machine. This is also true of 3D printing but I would expect if you paid a service they would likely have a resin printer that tends to be much more accurate.

I use these type of magnets in a lot of projects and initially made a few polarity mistakes. I now pair up each set of two magnets that will oppose each other. I mark the outer faces of each pair of joined magnets with permanent marker and set them aside. When I’m doing my glue up, I know that the marked side of the magnets go to the bottom of the hole and all is good with polarity.

Do you know who owns the rights to this file?

The link isn’t working. Can you update it? Thanks

1 Like

Hey Mike, I’m looking at this mount and really like it. Used a similar setup with magnets and alignment strips for replaceable sanding discs on a sharpening system I made. For those with a difficulty with the alignment of the polarity of the magnets, you can simply replace the magnets on one component with washers or even better, a sheet of steel shaped to the component, no alignment problems at all.:smiley:

1 Like

Yep, those links seem to be dead.

Anyone have the files? I’ll check the usual thingiverse and printables, if I find them I’ll repost them here.

1 Like

Hey y’all - I really appreciate the 3D models and info shared on this thread. I did another pass on the design and wanted to share my updated design here.
JTech Laser Mount V5.stl (1.6 MB)
Here are the tweaks I made:

• I made the magnet holes shallow at 2.25mm. I found they were still way too deep.

• I slightly shrunk the magnet hole diameters for two reasons. First, I wanted a tighter tolerance for the magnets. Second, for my 3D printer at least (Prusa MK3+), the magnet holes were too close to the bolt countersunk holes such that the thin wall between them didn’t even print. This had the epoxy spill into the bolt countersinks, which was annoying and messy.

• I slightly increased the male posts as there was too much slop and I wanted a super tight fit.

Also, for all those with magnet problems, I too screwed up my first one. Second time around, I made sure all 6 magnets stuck together side-by-side in the 2x3 grid pattern, and then took care to number each of them and number the holes in the bracket with a sharpy to match. Was tedious but it worked.

1 Like

Would these work for the magnets that you recommend, 12mm x 2mm? https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Refrigerator-Magnets-Premium-Brushed/dp/B07GX7Z4DF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2TBMALW24TF0Q&keywords=12mmx2mm+thick+magnets&qid=1661209440&sprefix=12mmx2mm+thick+magnets%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-4

I came on looking for something like this, but more of a stand off. This is better though.

I have a ring light on my router, and the standard Jtech bracket won’t fit flush because of it.

If I print this magnetic mount, do you have to apply some kind of offset to the laser Y-axis to make up for the thickness of the magnetic mount?

I haven’t played with the laser at all yet so I’m not sure of the particulars.

Would you be interested in selling me a set?

will this mount work for the 24w laser or is this a different beast and mounting?

Be aware, if you print the V5 version above, you will need to split it into separate parts and re-align them to the build plate. On of them is above the build plate in the download. I used PrusaSlicer and this is what I ran into.

Cecil

1 Like